The Country
  • The Country home
  • Latest news
  • Audio & podcasts
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life
  • Listen on iHeart radio

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • Coast & Country News
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Horticulture
  • Animal health
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life

Media

  • Podcasts
  • Video

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whāngarei
  • Dargaville
  • Auckland
  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Hamilton
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Te Kuiti
  • Taumurunui
  • Taupō
  • Gisborne
  • New Plymouth
  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Whanganui
  • Palmerston North
  • Levin
  • Paraparaumu
  • Masterton
  • Wellington
  • Motueka
  • Nelson
  • Blenheim
  • Westport
  • Reefton
  • Kaikōura
  • Greymouth
  • Hokitika
  • Christchurch
  • Ashburton
  • Timaru
  • Wānaka
  • Oamaru
  • Queenstown
  • Dunedin
  • Gore
  • Invercargill

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / The Country

Hawke’s Bay whitebait season: Catchers back after Cyclone Gabrielle as regional council and DoC advise caution

Mitchell Hageman
By Mitchell Hageman
Multimedia Journalist·Hawkes Bay Today·
6 Sep, 2024 02:46 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Veteran Hawke's Bay whitebaiter Alex Sutton says it has been a "fair" start to the season with some "great conditions". Photos / Paul Taylor

Veteran Hawke's Bay whitebaiter Alex Sutton says it has been a "fair" start to the season with some "great conditions". Photos / Paul Taylor

A post-cyclone ban on whitebaiting for most of Hawke’s Bay has ended and one catcher says conditions have been “brilliant” to start the season.

The Department of Conservation and Hawke’s Bay Regional Council are warning people to continue to exercise caution and know the fishing rules before rushing to grab their nets again.

The return to the water follows the end of the rāhui placed by Mana Ahuriri and another placed by hapū and marae of Heretaunga Tamatea Settlement Trust after Cyclone Gabrielle.

The rāhui did not include Wairoa, where people could continue to catch throughout the previous season.

Veteran Hawke’s Bay whitebaiter Alex Sutton said he thought the season, which started September 1, had been “pretty fair” regarding hauls in the first few days.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“I’ve been out five days, I’m having a day off today,” Sutton, who net fishes on the banks of the Tukituki, told Hawke’s Bay Today.

“The conditions are brilliant. We had a nice week regarding weather, and the river conditions are good.”

He estimated he’d already racked up about 3.5kg of whitebait, which was “a reasonably good start”, and “not bad for about five days’ work”.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“I’ve heard of others on that opening day were doing well, with one group getting 3kg on the day.”

Sutton said the 2019, 2020 and 2021 whitebaiting seasons were “a bit mean” so it was nice to have a better start this time around.

Despite the promising outlook, Hawke’s Bay Regional Council operations manager Antony Rewcastle said fishers should still expect some changed river conditions.

“We’d like to remind all fishers that the environment has been significantly impacted by [Cyclone] Gabrielle, and river access points aren’t as readily available as they have been in the past.”

Council’s message was to know the rules and follow them while fishing, including things such as applying for consent if they wanted stands in the Tukituki River, Te Awa Mokotūāraro (Clive River), Ngāruroro River, or the Tūtaekurī River.

A full list of rules can be found on the council’s website.

“These rules are in place so everyone can safely and fairly enjoy the season while helping to sustainably manage this precious taonga,” Rewcastle said.

“It’s also important to look after your fellow fishers – be kind and respect others’ space and ability to fish in Hawke’s Bay.”

Matt Brady, the Department of Conservation’s ranger for freshwater pests and migratory fish species, said while there was no ban in place, people should still consider their personal safety and the safety of the environment when catching.

“To reduce the risk of spreading pest species like gambusia and invasive freshwater gold clam, avoid moving between waterways on the same day. Always check, clean and dry your whitebaiting gear and ensure that that all weeds are removed,” he said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Some riverbanks in Hawke’s Bay are still pretty fragile after Cyclone Gabrielle. Be safe and make sure you’re fishing on a stable riverbank, especially at river mouths such as Ngāruroro and Tūtaekurī.”

Mitchell Hageman joined Hawke’s Bay Today in January 2023. From his Napier base, he writes regularly on social issues, arts and culture, and the community.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from The Country

Premium
Horticulture

'Changes were inevitable': Zespri puts 135 roles on the line

The Country
|Updated

Conveyor belt death: Warnings of multiple risks before incident

The Country

'Rabbit plague': Brazen bunnies overrun property, causing pest control confusion


Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from The Country

Premium
Premium
'Changes were inevitable': Zespri puts 135 roles on the line
Horticulture

'Changes were inevitable': Zespri puts 135 roles on the line

Job losses tough but leaders express confidence in kiwifruit marketer's direction.

31 Aug 08:28 PM
Conveyor belt death: Warnings of multiple risks before incident
The Country
|Updated

Conveyor belt death: Warnings of multiple risks before incident

31 Aug 08:25 PM
'Rabbit plague': Brazen bunnies overrun property, causing pest control confusion
The Country

'Rabbit plague': Brazen bunnies overrun property, causing pest control confusion

31 Aug 06:02 PM


Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet
Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

10 Aug 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP