The Country
  • The Country home
  • Latest news
  • Audio & podcasts
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life
  • Listen on iHeart radio

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • Coast & Country News
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Horticulture
  • Animal health
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life

Media

  • Podcasts
  • Video

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whāngarei
  • Dargaville
  • Auckland
  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Hamilton
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Te Kuiti
  • Taumurunui
  • Taupō
  • Gisborne
  • New Plymouth
  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Whanganui
  • Palmerston North
  • Levin
  • Paraparaumu
  • Masterton
  • Wellington
  • Motueka
  • Nelson
  • Blenheim
  • Westport
  • Reefton
  • Kaikōura
  • Greymouth
  • Hokitika
  • Christchurch
  • Ashburton
  • Timaru
  • Wānaka
  • Oamaru
  • Queenstown
  • Dunedin
  • Gore
  • Invercargill

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / The Country

Enza protest as rivals queue up

30 Jun, 2000 03:24 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

By PHILIPPA STEVENSON agricultural editor

Competition is heating-up for the former monopoly apple exporter Enza, with nearly 30 would-be marketers making 112 applications to sell fruit overseas.

The apple and pear export permits committee, the first body independent of Enza to assess applications, released a report on Friday indicating a growing keenness
to market outside the new-look producer board structure.

It brought immediate protest from Enzafruit International that the volumes would compromise its global position.

The Independent Pipfruit Growers Association also responded, suggesting that Enza was lining the committee up to be a scapegoat should there be a second year of disastrous returns for growers.

An association spokesman, Van Howard, said: "The new system needs at least one full export season to bed down before the impact of changes can be assessed.

"Enza should get on with the job of marketing our fruit and leave the new processes to the bodies which have been established to administer them."

The committee said it had so far approved 23 export permits for 1.2 million cartons, just under half the volume requested in the applications. About 730,000 cartons were organically grown or similar. Last year Enza approved about 600,000 cartons for independent export.

The approved exports are headed for the Asia/Pacific region (99,300 cartons), the US and Canada (274,302), Britain (565,000) and Europe (349,000).

The committee's secretary, Nicola White, said decisions on the remaining 89 applications would be made within six weeks.

The executive chairman of Enzafruit, John McCliskie, said exporting would be well under way by that time and the committee, which must only approve applications complementary to Enza, needed to give the company more information sooner.

Enzafruit had heard from one client, British supermarket Tesco, that two of the applications were to supply it with 300,000 cartons, he said.

"Instead of selling them up to one million cartons we are immediately down to around 600,000.

"The information provided by the committee so far is by no means sufficient to allow us to plan our own marketing for the new season," said Mr McCliskie.

"There is widespread concern being expressed in the industry that the committee has gone beyond its regulatory limits in terms of granting permits and that grower returns are in danger of being eroded if Enzafruit's market position is compromised."

The four member, self-funding committee was set up last November under the Apple and Pear Industry Restructuring Act which arose from the previous Government's producer board reform.

Applicants provide the committee with a significant amount of commercially sensitive information and that had to be balanced with Enza's need for information, Ms White said.

The committee is chaired by Richard Janes, chairman of Wools of New Zealand and a member of the former apple export consents committee.

The other members are a Tradenz board member, Graham Robertson; a fruit and vegetable exporter, David Palmer; and a Hastings orchardist, Jim Scotland.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Horticulture

The Country

Record season forecast for Zespri kiwifruit

19 Feb 09:51 PM
The Country

'Hard hit by the wind': Storms smash grower's berry tunnels

16 Feb 11:11 PM
The Country

Behind the scenes at Clyde Orchard's cherry harvest

15 Feb 10:42 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Horticulture

Record season forecast for Zespri kiwifruit
The Country

Record season forecast for Zespri kiwifruit

Zespri's final forecast for the kiwifruit season points to returns at record levels.

19 Feb 09:51 PM
'Hard hit by the wind': Storms smash grower's berry tunnels
The Country

'Hard hit by the wind': Storms smash grower's berry tunnels

16 Feb 11:11 PM
Behind the scenes at Clyde Orchard's cherry harvest
The Country

Behind the scenes at Clyde Orchard's cherry harvest

15 Feb 10:42 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP