The Country
  • The Country home
  • Latest news
  • Audio & podcasts
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life
  • Listen on iHeart radio

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • Coast & Country News
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Horticulture
  • Animal health
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life

Media

  • Podcasts
  • Video

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whāngarei
  • Dargaville
  • Auckland
  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Hamilton
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Te Kuiti
  • Taumurunui
  • Taupō
  • Gisborne
  • New Plymouth
  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Whanganui
  • Palmerston North
  • Levin
  • Paraparaumu
  • Masterton
  • Wellington
  • Motueka
  • Nelson
  • Blenheim
  • Westport
  • Reefton
  • Kaikōura
  • Greymouth
  • Hokitika
  • Christchurch
  • Ashburton
  • Timaru
  • Wānaka
  • Oamaru
  • Queenstown
  • Dunedin
  • Gore
  • Invercargill

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / The Country

Election 2020: National would push Transpower to cut prices to Tiwai Point smelter

Hamish Rutherford
By Hamish Rutherford
Wellington Business Editor·NZ Herald·
28 Aug, 2020 12:30 AM5 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The owners of the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter have signalled plans to close in August 2021, but negotiations with the Government are continuing. Photo / Gregor Richardson

The owners of the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter have signalled plans to close in August 2021, but negotiations with the Government are continuing. Photo / Gregor Richardson

Vote2020

National has indicated it will push Transpower to strike a deal which would keep the Tiwai Point aluminium smelter open beyond next year.

On Friday Opposition leader Judith Collins travelled to Invercargill to announce National's position on the smelter, with which it has had a difficult relationship over the past decade.

"A National Government will facilitate negotiations between Rio Tinto, power companies and Transpower to achieve a more cost competitive environment," Collins said in a statement.

"Our aim is to create a commercially viable outcome that would keep the smelter in operation for at least the next five years while preparing Southland to lessen the severity of the smelter's hard-closure."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

While National's announcement does not spell out how it would achieve a deal, the statement strongly hints it will require pushing Transpower, a state owned enterprise, to agree to cut its prices to the smelter.

Rio Tinto has long argued that it pays too much for transmission pricing. Despite being close to Manapouri, the power station which supplies all of its power, the mining giant says it pays a major chunk of the entire cost of the transmission network by virtue of the fact that it is New Zealand's largest electricity user.

But so far its calls for cheaper transmission have not led to the reductions it is calling for and the Government is unlikely to force the issue from the body which sets the rules.

Transmission pricing is determined by the Electricity Authority and as Energy Minister in 2017 Collins said the Government could not intervene in the price setting process because the regulator is an independent Crown entity.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

However Transpower, the owner of the national grid, is 100 per cent owned by the Crown, so minister's could work a way to direct its operations.

Collins said National understood Meridian Energy, owners of the Manapouri Power Station "have offered a positive electricity price for Rio Tinto" based on the losses it would face if the smelter was to close next year.

National said it would "do more" to secure a deal.

"A major factor is the cost of electricity carriage charged to the smelter by Transpower and National will want to see the current transmission price path negotiated to a point the smelter can commit to a future beyond the proposed hard-close date," Collins said.

"In exchange for this deal, we would require a plan from Rio Tinto for the clean-up of the site and dealing with the waste when it closes."

Collins' statement comes as talks between the Government and Rio Tinto appear to be continuing.

When the smelter announced it was to close, Energy Minister Megan Woods and Finance Minister Grant Robertson described the announcement as "final".

However Woods has confirmed talks are still ongoing.

"There are a range of discussions taking place but they are all commercial in nature so I won't be going into any detail about them."

In February the Herald revealed that Woods had offered to assist Rio Tinto to build its case for a discount on its transmission pricing and had facilitated a meeting between the sector and Rio Tinto.

Rio Tinto said this week that it continued to push the Government "for a fair price on transmission which reflects the actual service we receive at Tiwai," the company's managing director of Pacific operations, Kellie Parker, said in a statement.

"Rio Tinto needs a fixed and fair price so we don't continue to lose money over that longer timeframe. In the short term we really need to provide certainty for our people and our community, as soon as possible."

National's statement marks a significant shift for the party which has had a difficult relationship with the smelter's owners for close to a decade.

Back in 2013, as the former National Government was seeking to partially sell off Meridian through an initial public offering, Rio Tinto threatened to close the smelter.

National was forced to write the owners of the smelter a $30 million cheque to remove the uncertainty over New Zealand's largest electricity producer, which has the bulk of its generation from hydroelectric schemes in the lower South Island.

Finance Minister Bill English warned the smelter it was a one time only deal.

While Rio Tinto is already liable for the clean-up costs at Tiwai Point, National says in exchange for cheaper transmission it would need to do more. "We would require a plan from Rio Tinto for the clean-up of the site and dealing with the waste when it closes," Collins said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Rural business

Premium
Horticulture

'Changes were inevitable': Zespri puts 135 roles on the line

Premium
The Country

Small Business: Green, red and frozen gold with Kiwi Sorbet

The Country

Is lamb making a comeback? Market turns as prices reach $300 a head at sale


Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Rural business

Premium
Premium
'Changes were inevitable': Zespri puts 135 roles on the line
Horticulture

'Changes were inevitable': Zespri puts 135 roles on the line

Job losses tough but leaders express confidence in kiwifruit marketer's direction.

31 Aug 08:28 PM
Premium
Premium
Small Business: Green, red and frozen gold with Kiwi Sorbet
The Country

Small Business: Green, red and frozen gold with Kiwi Sorbet

31 Aug 05:00 PM
Is lamb making a comeback? Market turns as prices reach $300 a head at sale
The Country

Is lamb making a comeback? Market turns as prices reach $300 a head at sale

30 Aug 05:00 AM


Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet
Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

10 Aug 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP