Police have charged a man with the murder of Tribesmen Motorcycle Club member John Henry Harris and say two others were involved in the slaying that brought part of Whangarei to a standstill.

Nicky Bryan Dodd, 41, from Raumanga, appeared in Whangarei District Court yesterday, and is jointly charged with two other men with the murder of Mr Harris.

Police say one of those men is in custody on unrelated matters and will
be spoken to about the murder, and officers are actively seeking the third person.

It is nearly six months since 37-year-old Mr Harris, also known as John Boy, from Horeke, was driven by two men to the St John Ambulance with a gunshot to his chest on October 18, 2016.


He was loaded into an ambulance but died at the station about 6.40am. The death prompted a large police operation as the ambulance station on Western Hills Drive was cordoned off.

Dodd and the other two men are also charged with causing grievous bodily harm to two other men on the same day in October.

Dodd is also charged with unlawful possession of a pump-action shotgun on February 15, 2017, and unlawful possession of explosive rifle cartridges on January 4 this year.

He also faces a charge that between Jan 19 and February 8 this year he wilfully attempted to pervert the course of justice by influencing a person to give false evidence during a bail application of another man in court.

Dodd's arrest comes just days after 19-year-old Chayce Hayward-Dodd and a 21-year-old woman, both from Kaeo, were arrested and jointly charged with being accessory after the fact to the murder.

Hayward-Dodd appeared in the high Court at Whangarei on Monday and entered a not guilty plea. He was remanded on bail until April 13, which is the same date Nicky Dodd will reappear.

The 21-year-old female will make her first court appearance today.

Whangarei police Detective Senior Sergeant John Miller said the arrests were an important step in what had been an extensive investigation.


"We are glad to finally be able to hold those responsible to account.

"We hope that it will bring some closure to Mr Harris' friends, whanau and to the Whangarei community," Mr Miller said.

Mr Miller said inquiries are still continuing and further arrests are likely.

"I would like to acknowledge the assistance provided by the public and the dedication of the investigation team who have worked tirelessly over the past five months on this inquiry.

"We are also still welcoming any further information relating to the case, and would like to hear from anyone with information that may assist," he said.

Police initially said the shooting was the result of a simmering gang dispute.

A vehicle believed to be at the centre of the dispute was a red 2007 Holden Commodore, registration JCS248, that police believe was towed from an address on Hassard St, Kensington, between 3am and 6am on the day of the shooting.

It was found at a Mower Rd property, north of Whangarei, and was included as part of the three-day forensic examination of the area.