An Auckland man who snuck into a woman's apartment and violated her has been jailed for two and a half years.

Joshua Aaron Wedervoort, 22, admitted charges of burglary and sexual violation by unlawful sexual connection in Auckland District Court in June.

The builder, who lives with his parents in Glen Innes, was jailed this afternoon by Justice Evangelos Thomas in front of the defendant's family who sat in the public gallery.

Paul Dacre, QC, said the Wedervoort family had shown their support throughout the case and would continue to do so.

Joshua Wedervoort admitted charges of burglary and sexual violation. Photo / Facebook
Joshua Wedervoort admitted charges of burglary and sexual violation. Photo / Facebook

His father Joseph previously told the Herald the incident had happened at 5am after a night of booze and drugs with mates in town.

"He's surprised himself that he could've done something like that. He still can't remember all the details," Joseph Wedervoort said.

On February 25, the defendant was walking through town when he bumped into a woman who had been locked out of her Queen St apartment building.

They sparked up a conversation and eventually "tail-gated" someone into the complex who had a key.

The victim tried to get into her bedroom through a window but was eventually let in by a flatmate.

Meanwhile, Joshua Wedervoort walked off, having taken note of where she lived.

His father was adamant the attack was not premeditated.

His son told him he was looking for a friend's place but had the wrong building.

Later he returned to the open window and climbed into the woman's bedroom, waiting there for her.

When she came in Joshua Wedervoort made a sexual advance but was rebuffed. Rather than leave though, he held the woman down, put his hand over her mouth and violated her.

Eventually she alerted her flatmate and the 22-year-old fled.

But the following day, police released a CCTV photo of him from inside the corridors of the apartment, which saw him arrested shortly afterwards.

Joseph Wedervoort said it was not a surprise to hear drugs and booze had been a factor in the incident.

Going out partying and getting home in the early hours of the morning before going to work the next day was unthinkable for the Dutch-born man but not so for his son.

"For most of the kids nowadays, that's how they live. They work hard and they play hard," he said.

Regardless, Joseph Wedervoort told the Herald there was no justification for what happened.