A woman has shared a shocking warning about the dangers of dressing young babies with headbands.

In a since-deleted post, Leanne, from Glasgow, took to Facebook, to share her friend's devastating story.

She revealed that the mother had left her 14-week old daughter sleeping in her carry cot, wearing a headband.

When she returned just thirty minutes later after taking a shower, she discovered that the little girl had died from asphyxiation.

Advertisement

Taking to Facebook, Leanne wrote: "All mums please be aware, putting this warning out for all mums who have wee babies and use the big bow headbands on them."

A mother took to Facebook to share a shocking warning about the dangers of dressing young babies with headbands. Photo / Facebook
A mother took to Facebook to share a shocking warning about the dangers of dressing young babies with headbands. Photo / Facebook

"My friend has sadly just lost her 14 week old daughter whilst she thought she was sleeping in her carry cot after a long walk.

"When she came to check on her she had the bow headband down over her wee nose and mouth and wasn't moving.. she had passed away.

"Post mortem revealed death due to suffocation asphyxiation. She wanted me to share for other new mums the danger some of these baby fashion accessories can have."

She continued: "She had left baby Holly sleeping for only 30 minutes while she showered and changed and forgot to remove her headband and is utterly devastated."

The post quickly racked up almost 90,000 shares as well as 10,000 reactions from shocked parents.

One wrote: "Thank you for sharing and making other mums aware. These should be banned along with silly beaded dummy clips. As cute as they are, heath hazard. All thoughts and prayers are sent for Holly and her mum. RIP Angel xxxx".

Sheila Merrill, RoSPA's public health adviser told Manchester Evening News: "Children can easily swallow, inhale or choke on items left in their reach as they naturally grasp anything and put it in their mouths. Once in their mouth they find it difficult to remove the item.

"Parents can prevent the risk of choking and suffocation by ensuring that small objects or items are kept out of reach of children under the age of three."