Thomas Markle fears he is being "frozen out" by Kensington Palace after he gave a bombshell interview to GMB discussing his daughter and Harry's plans to have children, and the prince's views of Brexit.

The retired lighting director, 73, decided to speak exclusively to Piers Morgan earlier this week to "set the record straight" after negative press surrounding staged paparazzi photos and missing the royal wedding.

But his hopes that the interview would smooth things over seem to have been dashed as he has heard nothing from Kensington Palace since, according to the Daily Mail.

The retired lighting director, 73, tried to set the record straight with a tell-all interview on GMB but hasn't heard anything from Kensington Palace since.
The retired lighting director, 73, tried to set the record straight with a tell-all interview on GMB but hasn't heard anything from Kensington Palace since.

He's also said to be upset that his daughter, 36, did not send him a card for Father's Day, marked in both the UK and US last Sunday, after he missed the royal wedding due to health problems, according to the Sun on Sunday.

Advertisement

A source said: "There has been nothing from the palaces, which he is surprised about. He just hopes the interview hasn't affected things.

"He wanted to discuss travelling to the UK, or the couple visiting him. He still hasn't met Harry, and is desperate for it to happen."

Kensington Palace declined to comment when approached by MailOnline.

In a world exclusive interview he revealed Meghan sobbed when he told her he was staying in the US - and he cried as he watched his "beautiful" daughter marry Harry in Windsor on a small colour TV in a Californian B&B.

Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle kiss after their wedding ceremony. Photo / AP
Britain's Prince Harry and his wife Meghan Markle kiss after their wedding ceremony. Photo / AP

Markle gave millions of viewers a blow-by-blow account of his private conversations with Meghan and her new husband.

His most controversial comments came when he revealed that Harry confided in him that he is "open to Brexit" and also believes controversial President Donald Trump should be "given a chance".

Royals must remain strictly politically neutral - although Harry's father Charles is known for his outspoken views and numerous letters lobbying ministers on his pet causes.

Markle also spoke freely about his daughter's desperate wish to have children and said although she is not pregnant he expects the couple will have a baby "in the making very soon".

Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex ride by carriage following their wedding at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. Photo / Getty Images
Prince Harry, Duke of Sussex and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex ride by carriage following their wedding at St George's Chapel, Windsor Castle. Photo / Getty Images

He is yet to meet his new son-in-law, who asked for his daughter's hand in marriage on the phone last December, to which he replied: "You are a gentleman, promise me you will never raise your hand against my daughter and of course I will grant you my permission".

He added today: "Yeah he's a prince but my daughter has been a princess since the day she was born", adding he hopes to be in London soon to meet the couple and perhaps the Queen.

Markle was paid a "few thousand pounds" for the tell-all interview with Good Morning Britain choosing to do it because he wanted "set the record straight", host Piers Morgan revealed afterwards.

But the decision was likely to have upset the newlyweds because Kensington Palace was not told and the cash deal raises more questions about his relationship with Meghan after the turmoil he caused before the wedding.

Mr Markle's serious health problems emerged days after it was revealed he did a cash deal with the paparazzi to stage photographs in run up to the wedding to improve his image.

Britain's Prince Harry, left, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex ride in a carriage to attend the annual Trooping the Colour Ceremony in London. Photo / AP
Britain's Prince Harry, left, and Meghan, Duchess of Sussex ride in a carriage to attend the annual Trooping the Colour Ceremony in London. Photo / AP

He said he had apologised to Meghan and Harry on the phone, adding: "I realised it was a serious mistake. It's hard to take it back" and said they were "both very forgiving".

The father-of-three said he is now "on the mend" following his heart problems but was devastated at missing his daughter's big day.

He said: "She was beautiful. I cried a little watching her. I was very proud and I couldn't see a better moment in my life. The whole world was watching my daughter.

"The unfortunate thing now is that I'm a footnote in one of the greatest moments in history instead of a dad walking his daughter down the aisle.

"It was a very emotional moment. I regretted it because I really wanted to walk her down the aisle. But I'm thankful for how it all went".