A 24-year-old has been charged with the murder of a woman in Remuera yesterday.

Police confirmed late afternoon that the man had handed himself in at Auckland central police station at midday. He also surrendered a weapon which police believe he used to kill the woman.

Detective Inspector Kevin Hooper said the man was not known to the woman - who will not be named until after a post-mortem examination scheduled for last night, where she was to be formally identified.

The man is in custody.


Mr Hooper said the woman's body had been removed from the property where she was found. The occupants looked out the window and saw her on the lawn yesterday morning and it was obvious she needed help.

Mr Hooper could not elaborate on her cause of death but said her injuries were evident. She died at the scene.

Police have a good idea of who the woman is but until formal identification takes place they are not giving any information about her age or personal details.

"One of our main focuses at present is identifying the deceased and, through our own staff and the agencies we work alongside, wrapping support around her family at this tragic time.

"We now believe we know who she was and are in the process of formally notifying her next of kin."

Police have been canvassing the area around the scene and will be working to ascertain whether there were any other incidents in the area that could be related.

Mr Hooper said the residents of the property where the victim was found were understandably distressed by yesterday's events and have been assisted by Victim Support volunteers. The home neighbours local primary school St. Kentigern Primary.

A homicide investigation was launched after the woman's death on Shore Rd shortly before 11am.

It is understood the woman died after receiving fatal injuries in an attack.

A statement from police said the residents of the house called police after the woman ran there for help. Detective Inspector Kevin Hooper said it appeared the woman was attacked nearby.

"We'd like to hear from anyone who may have seen a Caucasian woman in exercise gear on Shore Rd or nearby, any time between 10am and 10.50am," he said.

A St John spokeswoman said two ambulances were dispatched at 10.49am, and arrived minutes later. However, the victim had already died. NZME