Lynley Bilby is a reporter for the Herald on Sunday.

Eden Park fireworks injure spectators

One of the injured spectators who was taken away bleeding. SNPA Photo / Ross Setford
One of the injured spectators who was taken away bleeding. SNPA Photo / Ross Setford

Several All Black fans were injured after being struck by a stray firework at Eden Park tonight.

A man and a woman were left with blood pouring from their injuries after being struck during a spectacular pyrotechnics display just before kickoff.

The pair, who were seated separately in Rows C and D in the southwestern corner of the ground, were pulled over the barricades and treated on the field by medics.

The woman was taken to hospital for treatment but the man returned to his seat later during the game.

An eyewitness said the man had a deep cut on his forehead, and his face was streaming with blood. Eden Park staff mopped up large amounts of blood which had spilt down three concrete steps.

St John spokesman Robbie Walker confirmed one person had suffered serious injuries. An ambulance was called to Eden Park by event staff about 7.40pm.

The person was treated at the scene with serious injuries and then transported to Auckland City Hospital.

A bumper Eden Park crowd of more than 48,000 saw the All Blacks smash the Wallabies 51-20 to retain the Bledisloe Cup.

Meanwhile, power was cut to about 900 unlucky homes in Mt Eden during the game.

The outage hit about 8pm after a transformer on Sandringham Rd lost power, but Eden Park was not affected.

Vector spokeswoman Sandy Hodge said crews were unclear what caused the outage.

Power was restored to all but 288 homes about 30 minutes later and was expected to be fully restored by 9.30pm.

- Herald on Sunday

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 25 Feb 2017 18:12:09 Processing Time: 465ms