Twin two-year-old girls, their three-year-old sister and their mother and grandmother were those found dead in a Perth home yesterday afternoon, WA Police has confirmed.
A man in his 20s surrendered himself at a regional WA police station before officers visited a home on Coode Street in the suburb of Bedford.
When police entered, they discovered the bodies of two women and three young children. Police refused to say what the man told them or how he was known to the victims.
WA Police told news.com.au the man was in custody and assisting policy with their inquiries. No charges have been laid yet.
A large section of the street and house were still cordoned off this morning with police forensic teams saying it will take them at least three days to investigate the scene.
The house is located on a busy road in Bedford and is located near a number of school bus-stops.
Early this morning, as kids hopped off their buses across the road from the home, they were herded away from the scene by police.
'THEY WERE VERY HAPPY KIDS'
Distraught neighbours have spoken about the family and how they hadn't been seen in recent days.
The street, that was normally filled with the laughter of the three girls, had been eerily quiet.
"It's so, so sad," a neighbour who lives across the road told news.com.au.
"They were very happy kids. They used to wave at me a lot and I would wave back."
Neighbours also spoke about the grandmother, who was often at her daughter's house helping out with the three girls.
"I think the mother was a FIFO worker so the grandmother was always ove there helping," the neighbour said.
"I would see her gardening and helping with the kids. I'm just so shocked."
Next-door-neighbour Richard Fairbrother told the ABC he'd been away and hadn't seen the family for more than a week.
"We've just been on a holiday and come back yesterday (Saturday) to silence in the street," Mr Fairbrother said.
"We noticed that the house next door was pretty quiet, which was unusual, being that they had the young kids.
"We had some friends staying here who have also mentioned that they didn't see or hear anybody next door for the week that we were away."
Mr Fairbrother said the three children played in the front and back yards so often he'd even warned his visitors about the noise.
"We had mentioned to our friends that were staying that there was likely to be some noise from the kids next door, and they were a little surprised that there wasn't noise from the kids next door," he said.
"We'd been around to their house once or twice, and vice versa. It's just terrible to hear, terrible."
It's not known how long the bodies had been in the house.
Assistant commissioner Paul Steel confirmed the victims were both adults and children, but would not clarify their ages or genders.
"This is a tragic event and it will no doubt have an impact not only the family and friends of the deceased but for the whole of the community, those first responders who are faced with attending a scene with multiple deceased people," he told reporters today.
"It does send a ripple through the community of Western Australia."
He said specialist forensic police would investigate the scene, which was stil at a "very early stage".
"We are three hours into this investigation, I have no further detail in relation to those who are present at the location."
WA Police told news.com.au the man was in custody and assisting policy with their inquiries. No charges had been laid by late last night.
"There are no ongoing concerns for public safety as a result of this incident."
A number of police cars, homicide squad officers and forensic police were at the house, with the road blocked off at the Coode and Beaufort St intersection.
A distraught neighbour told WA Todaythat she often saw children playing in the front yard of the house at the centre of police investigations.
"It's just so sad, they've got primary school aged kids and I thought it just couldn't be," she said. "How could someone do that to their own children? It's sickening to think someone could do that."
Another neighbour told WA Today she didn't know the home's occupants personally, but would often wave and say hello as she walked past.
"It's taken us by complete shock," she said. "It's just horrific on every level."
Neighbour Vagner de Souza told the ABC he regularly saw a family in the house's yard.
"Just a normal family, you would never imagine anything like that happening," he said.
The incident comes just months after seven people were murdered at a home in Margaret River.
In May, a family was murdered on a rural property in Osmington, on the outskirts of Margaret River.
The deaths of Katrina Miles, her parents Cynda and Peter, and children Taye, Rylan, Arye and Kadyn, were described as Australia's worst mass shooting since the Port Arthur massacre.
In July, Kiwi mum Michelle Peterson, 48, and her children Bella, 15 and Rua, 8, were killed in the suburb of Ellenbrook.
Teancum Petersen-Crofts was charged with murdering his mother Michelle, his 15-year-old sister Bella and his eight-year-old brother Rua.
Ms Peterson and Rua were found dead inside their Brixton Cr. home and Bella managed to make it into the backyard of the house but later died of her injuries.
According to domestic violence group the Red Heart Campaign, the deaths of the Bedford family are the 52nd and 53rd women killed in Australia this year.
The three children are the 16th, 17th and 18th kids to die in 2018.