The Country
  • The Country home
  • Latest news
  • Audio & podcasts
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life
  • Listen on iHeart radio

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • Coast & Country News
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Horticulture
  • Animal health
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life

Media

  • Podcasts
  • Video

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whāngarei
  • Dargaville
  • Auckland
  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Hamilton
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Te Kuiti
  • Taumurunui
  • Taupō
  • Gisborne
  • New Plymouth
  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Whanganui
  • Palmerston North
  • Levin
  • Paraparaumu
  • Masterton
  • Wellington
  • Motueka
  • Nelson
  • Blenheim
  • Westport
  • Reefton
  • Kaikōura
  • Greymouth
  • Hokitika
  • Christchurch
  • Ashburton
  • Timaru
  • Wānaka
  • Oamaru
  • Queenstown
  • Dunedin
  • Gore
  • Invercargill

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / The Country

Two-year ban on taking shellfish and seaweed from rockpools north of Auckland

RNZ
14 Feb, 2026 11:23 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
NZ Herald Morning News Update | Wellington Water board chairman steps down, one dead in crash, more serious weather on way for eastern North Island. Video / NZ Herald

By RNZ

After a public outcry, the Government is imposing a two-year ban on taking shellfish from rockpools north of Auckland.

The ban is for all of the Whangaparāoa Peninsula, and further north at Kawau Bay and Ōmaha Bay.

Locals have said more people are taking sea life and beaches were being stripped bare.

Oceans and Fisheries Minister Shane Jones said on Sunday most people did the right thing “and gather only what is appropriate and legal”, but others were exploiting and collapsing ecosystems.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The ban will take effect from March 12 and will be enforced by fishery officers.

Oceans and Fisheries Under-Secretary Jenny Marcroft said officials “have been directed to explore how community volunteers can be supported to encourage visitors to do the right thing”.

Oceans and Fisheries Minister Shane Jones has announced the Government is imposing a two-year ban on taking shellfish from rockpools north of Auckland. Photo / Mike Scott
Oceans and Fisheries Minister Shane Jones has announced the Government is imposing a two-year ban on taking shellfish from rockpools north of Auckland. Photo / Mike Scott

“Fisheries New Zealand will also develop multilingual educational material to support this closure and the ongoing management of intertidal fisheries.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Last year, the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust applied for a two-year legal ban on harvesting all shellfish and seaweed from rock pools along Auckland’s eastern coastline, from the Rodney Local Board area through to the Hibiscus and Bays Local Board area, under Section 186A of the Fisheries Act.

The Government in January said it was seeking urgent advice on the matter.

Fisheries worked with the Ngāti Manuhiri Settlement Trust, Jones said, to enact a traditional rāhui.

“My decision excludes some of the species and areas requested by Ngāti Manuhiri where existing closures and restrictions apply.”

All seaweed, invertebrate and shellfish were covered, he said, as well as sponges, starfish, anemone and sea cucumbers.

Spiny rock lobster and scallops were already covered by existing closures.

Sea urchin (kina) were excluded “and can still be taken within the current recreational fishing limits”.

“I decided to allow kina to continue to be taken as managing kina barrens is a priority for me. Officials will continue to actively monitor and manage kina population.”

The closure did not apply to any aquaculture activities, such as marine farming or the collection of spat (small juvenile shellfish), Jones and Marcroft said.

“It’s important that these coastal management restrictions do not impact on marine farming and the aquaculture development so it can continue to support our economy and provide jobs in our communities,” Jones said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The Hauraki Gulf Forum welcomed the closures.

More details were posted on the Ministry for Primary Industries website.

– RNZ

Save
    Share this article

Latest from The Country

The Country

Farmers fear erosion will worsen if nursery subsidies are cut

20 Feb 05:00 PM
The Country

Homekill butcher’s micro abattoir vision

20 Feb 04:00 PM
OpinionMarcus Musson

China log supply and NZ forestry: Stable prices but sellers gain edge - Marcus Musson

20 Feb 03:59 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from The Country

Farmers fear erosion will worsen if nursery subsidies are cut
The Country

Farmers fear erosion will worsen if nursery subsidies are cut

Council reviews subsidy for farmers to buy tree poles to stabilise hillsides.

20 Feb 05:00 PM
Homekill butcher’s micro abattoir vision
The Country

Homekill butcher’s micro abattoir vision

20 Feb 04:00 PM
China log supply and NZ forestry: Stable prices but sellers gain edge - Marcus Musson
Marcus Musson
OpinionMarcus Musson

China log supply and NZ forestry: Stable prices but sellers gain edge - Marcus Musson

20 Feb 03:59 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP