The Country
  • The Country home
  • Latest news
  • Audio & podcasts
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life
  • Listen on iHeart radio

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • Coast & Country News
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Horticulture
  • Animal health
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life

Media

  • Podcasts
  • Video

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whāngarei
  • Dargaville
  • Auckland
  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Hamilton
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Te Kuiti
  • Taumurunui
  • Taupō
  • Gisborne
  • New Plymouth
  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Whanganui
  • Palmerston North
  • Levin
  • Paraparaumu
  • Masterton
  • Wellington
  • Motueka
  • Nelson
  • Blenheim
  • Westport
  • Reefton
  • Kaikōura
  • Greymouth
  • Hokitika
  • Christchurch
  • Ashburton
  • Timaru
  • Wānaka
  • Oamaru
  • Queenstown
  • Dunedin
  • Gore
  • Invercargill

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / The Country

Public urged to report 'suspicious fishing activity' after 100 dead snapper found

NZ Herald
18 Jan, 2020 11:39 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Auckland fishery officers are calling for the public's help to find out what killed 100 snapper found floating in the Hauraki Gulf. Photo / Supplied

Auckland fishery officers are calling for the public's help to find out what killed 100 snapper found floating in the Hauraki Gulf. Photo / Supplied

Fishery officers are investigating after about 100 dead snapper were found floating in the Hauraki Gulf on Saturday.

The Ministry for Primary Industries said Auckland officers wanted to talk to anyone who saw the dead fish, which were reported around 2pm.

The fish were floating in the area north of Waiheke Island.

READ MORE
• Thousands of dead fish around Kawau Island in Hauraki Gulf off Auckland coast
• Mystery solved: MPI reveals probable source of thousands of dead fish

"At this point we are in very early stages of our inquiries and are appealing to the public to report any activity that could have contributed to the dead snapper," MPI said in a statement.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"We are very thankful to members of the public for contacting MPI."

Anyone with information about this incident - or any other suspicious fishing activity - is urged to call 0800 4 POACHER line (0800 47 62 24) or email ncc@mpi.govt.nz to report it.

The incident follows the death of thousands of mackerel last month, with the dead fish found washed up across the shores of Kawau Island.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

MPI later said it believed the fish - about 1000 kgs' worth - had accidentally been lost from the net of a commercial fishing vessel.

Discover more

Big kingfish caught in Otago Harbour

20 Jan 10:00 PM
Save
    Share this article

Latest from The Country

The Country

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era

29 Nov 02:30 AM
The Country

One North, one council: Farmers say unitary authority would make work tenable again

29 Nov 12:00 AM
The Country

‘He was enormous’: Humpback puts on a show off Bream Bay

28 Nov 05:26 PM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from The Country

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era
The Country

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era

The new 145ha Rerewhakaaitu Nursery will produce millions of seedlings a year.

29 Nov 02:30 AM
One North, one council: Farmers say unitary authority would make work tenable again
The Country

One North, one council: Farmers say unitary authority would make work tenable again

29 Nov 12:00 AM
‘He was enormous’: Humpback puts on a show off Bream Bay
The Country

‘He was enormous’: Humpback puts on a show off Bream Bay

28 Nov 05:26 PM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP