The Country
  • The Country home
  • Latest news
  • Audio & podcasts
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life
  • Listen on iHeart radio

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • Coast & Country News
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Horticulture
  • Animal health
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life

Media

  • Podcasts
  • Video

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whāngarei
  • Dargaville
  • Auckland
  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Hamilton
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Te Kuiti
  • Taumurunui
  • Taupō
  • Gisborne
  • New Plymouth
  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Whanganui
  • Palmerston North
  • Levin
  • Paraparaumu
  • Masterton
  • Wellington
  • Motueka
  • Nelson
  • Blenheim
  • Westport
  • Reefton
  • Kaikōura
  • Greymouth
  • Hokitika
  • Christchurch
  • Ashburton
  • Timaru
  • Wānaka
  • Oamaru
  • Queenstown
  • Dunedin
  • Gore
  • Invercargill

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / The Country

John Key announces start of talks to upgrade China Free Trade Agreement

Claire Trevett
Claire Trevett
Political Editor·NZ Herald·
20 Nov, 2016 06:18 PM2 mins to read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Trade Minister Todd McClay had talks with China's Minister Gao in Lima. Photo / Twitter

Trade Minister Todd McClay had talks with China's Minister Gao in Lima. Photo / Twitter

Prime Minister John Key says the launch of negotiations to upgrade New Zealand's free trade agreement with China is an opportunity to catch up with other countries which have signed trade agreements with China since New Zealand became the first to do so in 2008.

Key announced the launch of negotiations at the APEC Summit in Peru this morning.

He said it was another first in China - New Zealand relations. New Zealand was the first developed country to sign an FTA with China in 2008 and will be the first to negotiate for an upgrade.

New Zealand had been pushing for an upgrade after China signed other FTAs with countries including Australia on more favourable terms in some areas.

Over the line. The PM announces upgrade of China-NZ FTA after talks between Minister Gao and myself in Lima @APECPeru2016 @NZ_Global pic.twitter.com/io8oCeHLZ1

— Todd McClay (@toddmcclaymp) November 20, 2016
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Key said the China free trade agreement had exceeded all expectations.

"It has an enviable record and showcases to the world the importance of trade liberalisation."

The announcement followed a meeting at APEC between Trade Minister Todd McClay and China's Commerce Minister Gao Hucheng.

The first round of negotiations will be held in the first half of 2017.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The terms of the negotiations will allow the improvement in areas already covered by the FTA as well as some newer areas such as competition policy and e-commerce.

There have been some strains on the relationship, including over complaints about China dumping steel in New Zealand. McClay said that issue was not touched on in the talks this weekend.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from The Country

Premium
The Country

'Unwelcome' for rural NZ: Starlink hikes its prices

19 May 05:00 AM
The Country

Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms

19 May 03:05 AM
The Country

The Country: Electrification v fossil fuels with Shane Jones

19 May 01:40 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from The Country

Premium
Premium
'Unwelcome' for rural NZ: Starlink hikes its prices
The Country

'Unwelcome' for rural NZ: Starlink hikes its prices

The move comes as owner SpaceX gears up for its US$1.75 trillion IPO.

19 May 05:00 AM
Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms
The Country

Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms

19 May 03:05 AM
The Country: Electrification v fossil fuels with Shane Jones
The Country

The Country: Electrification v fossil fuels with Shane Jones

19 May 01:40 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP