The Country
  • The Country home
  • Latest news
  • Audio & podcasts
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life
  • Listen on iHeart radio

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • Coast & Country News
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Horticulture
  • Animal health
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life

Media

  • Podcasts
  • Video

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whāngarei
  • Dargaville
  • Auckland
  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Hamilton
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Te Kuiti
  • Taumurunui
  • Taupō
  • Gisborne
  • New Plymouth
  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Whanganui
  • Palmerston North
  • Levin
  • Paraparaumu
  • Masterton
  • Wellington
  • Motueka
  • Nelson
  • Blenheim
  • Westport
  • Reefton
  • Kaikōura
  • Greymouth
  • Hokitika
  • Christchurch
  • Ashburton
  • Timaru
  • Wānaka
  • Oamaru
  • Queenstown
  • Dunedin
  • Gore
  • Invercargill

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / The Country

Hawke's Bay Council gives green light to Napier Port IPO

Jamie Gray
Jamie Gray
Business Reporter·NZ Herald·
29 May, 2019 06:00 AM3 mins to read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The Hawke's Bay Regional Council has approved the partial privatisation of Napier Port. Photo/File.

The Hawke's Bay Regional Council has approved the partial privatisation of Napier Port. Photo/File.

The Hawke's Bay Regional Council has confirmed that it will proceed with the partial privatisation of Napier Port, through an initial public offer, subject to pricing and market conditions.

The council said a final decision on pricing and market conditions would be made in June.

Regional Council Chair, Rex Graham, said a minority IPO could meet the council's objectives and satisfy the terms upon which the Council consulted the Hawke's Bay community.

"We have agreed today that a 45 per cent IPO of Napier Port will deliver the funds needed to enable the Port to invest in its future growth, while protecting ratepayers from the costs, diversifying the Regional Council's income streams and maintaining majority ownership and control," he said in a statement.

"We set a range of conditions around a potential IPO on December 19 last year and these will be met," he said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The last hurdle was around pricing and market conditions, but the offer looked likely to proceed in early July.

Indicative valuations of Napier Port supported the parameters that the Regional Council consulted upon in October – November 2018.

"The objectives in this exercise have not changed," he said. "Napier Port needs significant investment in order to manage congestion and to prepare for future growth."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The port needs a new wharf, which is estimated to cost between $170 - $190m and anticipated to be completed by 2022.

"A minority IPO protects ratepayers from these costs and enables the Regional Council to diversify and de-risk its income streams, which are currently overly dependent on Napier Port," he said.

Graham said resolving the issue of the Port's capital structure would enable the Council to focus its effort and resources on continuing to address a wide range of pressing environmental challenges facing Hawke's Bay, including ensuring its infrastructure and land and water management was able to withstand more extreme weather as a result of climate change.

Proceeds to the Regional Council from the IPO will be invested and held in a future investment fund, diversifying the Regional Council's balance sheet and income streams.

All Hawke's Bay residents, including local iwi, wanting to buy shares in Napier Port would be offered a guaranteed minimum allocation of shares and there would be a period for locals to pre-register their interest before an offer opened. There would also be a priority offer for Port staff.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

In addition to the appointments of Deutsche Craigs Limited and Goldman Sachs New Zealand as Joint Lead Managers, the Council has confirmed the appointment of Forsyth Barr Limited as retail Co-Manager to the offer.

In March, the Regional Council voted to introduce a number of additional measures to protect its majority shareholder position in Napier Port, including ensuring its shareholding could not be diluted to below 51 per cent and committing to appointing two new Council-affiliated directors to the Napier Port Board.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from The Country

The Country

From paddock to plate: Wairarapa pasta makers win top food award

20 May 04:19 AM
Premium
The Country

Rockit man? Kiwi company taps Chinese mega-star to push its miniature apples

20 May 02:00 AM
The Country

The Country: Christopher Luxon on public service cuts

20 May 01:42 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from The Country

From paddock to plate: Wairarapa pasta makers win top food award
The Country

From paddock to plate: Wairarapa pasta makers win top food award

Monty & Sons' pasta uses Wairarapa Grains Collective durum wheat grown regeneratively.

20 May 04:19 AM
Premium
Premium
Rockit man? Kiwi company taps Chinese mega-star to push its miniature apples
The Country

Rockit man? Kiwi company taps Chinese mega-star to push its miniature apples

20 May 02:00 AM
The Country: Christopher Luxon on public service cuts
The Country

The Country: Christopher Luxon on public service cuts

20 May 01:42 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP