The Country
  • The Country home
  • Latest news
  • Audio & podcasts
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life
  • Listen on iHeart radio

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • Coast & Country News
  • Opinion
  • Dairy farming
  • Sheep & beef farming
  • Horticulture
  • Animal health
  • Rural business
  • Rural technology
  • Rural life

Media

  • Podcasts
  • Video

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whāngarei
  • Dargaville
  • Auckland
  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Hamilton
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Te Kuiti
  • Taumurunui
  • Taupō
  • Gisborne
  • New Plymouth
  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Whanganui
  • Palmerston North
  • Levin
  • Paraparaumu
  • Masterton
  • Wellington
  • Motueka
  • Nelson
  • Blenheim
  • Westport
  • Reefton
  • Kaikōura
  • Greymouth
  • Hokitika
  • Christchurch
  • Ashburton
  • Timaru
  • Wānaka
  • Oamaru
  • Queenstown
  • Dunedin
  • Gore
  • Invercargill

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / The Country

Federal stymies apple bid

29 Mar, 2001 10:48 AM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

By GREG ANSLEY

CANBERRA - The New Zealand apple industry faces further delay in its bid to access the Australian market.

A key Senate committee report on the disputed application to end Australia's apple import ban has been postponed until the end of June, following the Federal Government's decision to launch a
new open-ended review.

The Government has also indicated no decision will be made until the second half of the year.

The 12-year bid by New Zealand to end the ban is bitterly opposed by the Australian industry and by unions, which claim transtasman imports would expose the nation to the risk of a devastating outbreak of fire blight disease.

The industry estimates an outbreak of the disease, which is endemic in New Zealand, would cost Australia $A6 billion ($7.2 billion) in its first six years, halving pear production and cutting apple production by 20 per cent.

A draft risk assessment released by Biosecurity Australia last October recommended the lifting of the ban - subject to stringent scientific conditions - thus reducing the Government's options without risking action in the World Trade Organisation.

But last month, Agriculture Minister Warren Truss said no decision would be made until yet another review had considered key scientific issues made in public submissions after the draft assessment was released.

Yesterday, Mr Truss declined to give Parliament a guarantee that no decision would be made until the Senate's rural and regional affairs committee had reported.

But he said Biosecurity Australia would now prepare a new document for discussion with key stakeholders and officials would continue to cooperate with the Senate inquiry.

He said that because of the volume of submissions already received, a final import risk analysis was not expected until the middle of the year.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Horticulture

The Country

Record season forecast for Zespri kiwifruit

19 Feb 09:51 PM
The Country

'Hard hit by the wind': Storms smash grower's berry tunnels

16 Feb 11:11 PM
The Country

Behind the scenes at Clyde Orchard's cherry harvest

15 Feb 10:42 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Horticulture

Record season forecast for Zespri kiwifruit
The Country

Record season forecast for Zespri kiwifruit

Zespri's final forecast for the kiwifruit season points to returns at record levels.

19 Feb 09:51 PM
'Hard hit by the wind': Storms smash grower's berry tunnels
The Country

'Hard hit by the wind': Storms smash grower's berry tunnels

16 Feb 11:11 PM
Behind the scenes at Clyde Orchard's cherry harvest
The Country

Behind the scenes at Clyde Orchard's cherry harvest

15 Feb 10:42 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • NZ Herald e-editions
  • Daily puzzles & quizzes
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP