The death of a man on the Tongariro Crossing is being labelled by emergency services as needless and avoidable.
The 53-year-old Indian tourist, whose body was found yesterday, was part of a group of four, which had split up at the Ketetahi Hut.
Local police say the man was not equipped for the forecast blizzard conditions.
Ruapehu Mayor Don Cameron told Newstalk ZB rules and warnings were there for a reason - and he's pleading with people to follow them.
"We're deeply saddened by what has happened," he said.
Cameron said it seemed almost all the rules about how to safely traverse the track had been broken.
"We're pleading with people to be sensible.
"Please, if you're going over the Tongariro Crossing, try not to separate.
"If you are going to separate from your group, make sure you have a plan so you know exactly where you are going and contact someone to make sure you arrive there or they meet you there.
"The other thing is, no matter what the weather is when you set out, always carry thermals in a pack with you.
"The weather can change so fast."
Only last week, police released the name of a climber who died after falling into Crater Lake at nearby Mt Ruapehu on September 20. He was 32-year-old Magesh Jagadeesan of Lower Hutt.
"This is the second death we've had in just a few weeks," Cameron said.
"We desperately want to avoid that happening up there. Have a plan, stick to it, be properly clothed and make sure you go at a pace you can enjoy the trip with, don't try to rush it.
"We need people to understand they are going into a really hostile environment."