A rural Tauranga house which escaped serious damage from fire has been described as "a good save".

Tauranga firefighters were called to reports of a house on fire on Rowe Rd, Ohauiti at 5.30pm yesterday.

Fire and Emergency New Zealand communications shift manager Colin Underdown said when firefighters arrived "there was nothing showing".

"But on investigation, they found it was smoke logged and there was a fire in the roof space."


It appeared the fire had started from a wood burner, leading into the ceiling, he said.

Underdown said firefighters worked to put the fire out and ventilated the house.

"It was a good save."