It will take some time for the Scott family to rebuild their lives after a fire ravaged their Napier home last week.

Owner John Scott was unable to save his home on Ellis Wallace Rd in Eskdale, Napier, which also killed eight of his family's English Pointers - used for conformation showing.

The 76-year-old is slowly coming to terms with the tragedy and was "numb" at the thought of everything they had lost in their home of 28 years - including personal belongings, ornaments of dogs, wedding photos and trophies.

John moved to New Zealand from Scotland in 1968 with his wife, and had owned the three-bedroom home and 41ha farm since 1989.


Despite having insurance on their house, they did not have contents insurance.

A Givealittle page, which was set up on Thursday, has already seen $10,802 donated.

Son-in-law, Justin Andrews said from the family's point of view, support from people, particularly the dog showing community had been unbelievable.

He said they were expecting a few hundred dollars, "but the amount at the moment is astounding. The generosity of people is unbelievable."

"What it means is that once the insurance is settled, John can afford to buy a fridge, freezer, bed and lounge suite and fill the house with all the essentials."

They are now firmly focused on creating a fresh start for themselves.

"We are certainly looking at rebuilding the farm and getting back to dog showing and breeding more dog lines," Mr Andrews said.

A temporary home for Mr Scott was delivered on Monday by Duncan Shilling, at a discounted rental amount - to ensure that he was able to continue working on the farm.

Mr Andrews said it had been "hectic", with his wife, Kathleen Andrews going between her home and the farm.

They had also received food and blankets for their four surviving dogs and had been contacted by people who they had sold previous puppies to, offering to breed.

The owner and technician of Laptops R Us said customers had contacted them and that they had received messages from people in the dog community from Australia and further a field.

On top of everything, they had also only shifted businesses two weeks ago.

Mr Scott's youngest daughter, Fiona Scott is flying back to Christchurch today, after dropping everything to be with her family in the wake of the blaze.

Five fire trucks and two water tankers were called to the property on Wednesday after 1pm, and left the scene at about 5.20pm.

To donate to John Scott's Givealittle page, visit: