The Bay of Plenty Fire District, including the Taupō District, has moved to a prohibited fire season.
The prohibited fire season came into effect at 8am today.
This means no one in the Taupō District can light an open-air fire. All fire permits previously granted are suspended, and new permits will not be issued while the ban is in place.
The move comes after a fire in Taupō destroyed a 500 x 500 m section of vegetation on Saturday.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
Fire and Emergency NZ Bay of Plenty District manager Jeff Maunder says the change will help prevent a large wildfire in the district.
"The current climate conditions have driven the total fire ban as the indicators have hit our pre-determined fire plan triggers for a restricted fire season. The temperatures are high and dry and the humidity is low, making it the perfect condition for fires to get out of control," he says.
There are still some activities involving fire that are allowed during a prohibited fire season. For more information on what you can and can't do, and how to do your activity safely, go to checkitsalright.nz.
Jeff would also like to remind everyone to take extra care when undertaking activities that can cause sparks.
"Reduce your risk as much as possible - it takes just one spark to start a wildfire. Have plenty of water available, wait until the morning or evenings when the humidity is higher and temperatures are cooler, and if possible undertake the activity on cleared bare ground."