Smoke alarm saves the day

Add a comment

A smoke detector may have saved the life of a Whanganui man on Friday, the Fire Service said.

Firefighters were called to a Kupe Pl, Castlecliff flat shortly after 2am.

The sole male occupant had already awoken to the smoke detector alarm, as had neighbours.

A small stove top fire was extinguished, leaving only superficial damage.

"He was really lucky, the smoke alarm woke him and neighbours before he was overcome with smoke," senior station officer Craig Gardiner said.

"The smoke alarm did a great job."

- Wanganui Chronicle

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 18 Jan 2017 15:19:43 Processing Time: 354ms