"Only worry about what you can control."
It's something athletes are told all the time but in the current nationwide lockdown it is a mantra that is being well and truly tested.
Whakarewarewa Rugby Club was due a rare tilt at the Baywide Premier title against Tauranga Sports at the weekend but the momentum-destroying lockdown means they have to bide their time.
It is one of four finals due to be played across the Bay when restrictions allow.
Bay of Plenty Rugby Union community rugby manager Pat Rae said while the lockdown had disrupted the season, no one was panicking and all were aware of the significant threat presented by Covid-19.
"I don't think there needs to be a mad panic in terms of cancelling it - we do have a bit of time on our side," he said.
"We could potentially wait until November if we need to. I've been in touch with all the presidents or chairman of the teams involved in our finals. It's not a big deal and I'll probably suggest we don't try to hold the finals in level 2, we should wait until level 1."
The extra time between level 2 and 1 could be valuable as the teams involved will need time to train and get back up to speed.
"If we use last year as the yardstick, we were in lockdown for six weeks and they required a three-week return-to-play protocol. So, for every two weeks we're in lockdown there will be an extra week's training to return to play.
"It's just about getting that cardio-vascular fitness back up and getting used to contact which helps prevent injuries."
While being back in lockdown was not ideal, Rae said the experiences of last year's lockdown and return to normal life meant the rugby union was more prepared this time.
"I'm a lot less stressed about it all than I was last time because we were stepping into the unknown," he said.
"At least here, we already know what to expect. There's not much change with the protocols even with the different variant [of Covid-19]."
Meanwhile, the 87th Kurangaituku Netball Tournament, hosted by Netball Rotorua, was set to begin this Friday.
The three-weekend long tournament attracts thousands of netballers to Rotorua every year but has been postponed.
The senior weekends, due to be played on August 27-28 and September 3-4 will now be played on October 29-30 and November 5-6, if restrictions allow.
The secondary school tournament has been cancelled.
All three weekends of the tournament were cancelled in 2020 due to Covid-19.
Netball Rotorua secretary Mary Thompson said there were about 400 teams entered this year.
"It is frustrating really but we are going to try to make it happen," she said.
"We hope by October and November we can make it happen and we've had really good feedback about that. Obviously, the tournaments won't be as big because not everybody will be able to make it, but we can make it happen and make it worthwhile."
She said those involved were "very understanding" of the position the organisers were in.
"We start organising this in about April, for it to start in September, so a lot of work goes into it and it will be an awful lot of work if it does still go ahead because all the draws will have to be changed.
"We have to work with sponsors and providers for if and when it does go ahead but they're all aware of what's happening."