A Far North father whose teenage son was expelled from Kerikeri High School says he should have received help and support from the school instead of being permanently excluded.
School documents show the boy was suspended in June for "gross misconduct" which involved the assault of another student before the matter went to a board of trustees hearing and he was banned from going back.
The man claims his 15-year-old son was the victim of bullying at the school during the months before the incident, and was mentally and physically assaulted before acting out.
He plans to lodge a complaint with the Ministry of Education.
Kerikeri High School principal Elizabeth Forgie said she could not comment on individual circumstances to protect the privacy of the students involved.
"The school followed a very thorough and considered process to ensure the safety of all students," she said.
The school's policy on bullying states it "actively seeks to provide an environment that is safe from all forms of intimidation".
The policy says the school community "works to prevent bullying behaviour, recognises that bullying behaviour can occur commits to addressing bullying when it is identified."
The dad, who the Northern Advocate has agreed not to identify, said the bullying started as soon as his son began attending the school as a new student in February.
He received threatening text messages, was beaten up outside school grounds, and was verbally bullied, he said.
While he acknowledged his son had a part to play in his exclusion, he said it wouldn't have escalated to the point of no return if he had received the support he needed.
"Eventually he broke down and reacted poorly to the abuse," the dad said.
"Despite the school having full knowledge of the situation, no action was taken nor support offered to any of the students involved.
"When we alerted the school administration to the ongoing situation the end result was his exclusion from the school.
"He knows he's done wrong and...has been prepared to accept the punishment that was given him, but this outcome is totally extreme and irresponsible."
The school said it has "followed a very thorough and considered process to ensure the safety of all students."
School documents show the incidents centre around three Year 11 and 12 female students who claim the boy acted inappropriately towards them and harassed them.
His behaviour and interactions with other students were "the subject of ongoing investigations" by the deputy principal following parents' concerns, the documents say.
The boy was suspended on June 22 following the assault of a Year 12 student.
The suspension came one week after the boy was beaten up in the Kerikeri Domain and after his father told the school his son was also the target of bullying behaviour.
The matter went to a board of trustees hearing on July 1.
A letter from the board of trustees, also dated July 1, stated the teen had been "excluded" from the school and was no longer allowed on school grounds.
The father said the hearing was "like a court case".
"This kid was grilled on whether he was telling the truth or not. What about the girls?
"He started from another school with no friends, they've [Kerikeri High] been told cyber bullying was happening.
"They're not supporting the students, the systems they've got are either outdated or they haven't got a clue.
"These kids hounded the hell out of him."