Almost 1000 Whangārei district property owners have asked for their valuations to be reviewed after property valuation notices were released earlier this year.

Whangārei District Council has received 961 objections which is in line with national averages of 1 to 2 per cent. District councils have to revalue properties every three years.

In comparison, there were 1199 objections in 2012 and 747 in 2015. The council said the level of objections was expected due to the large changes across the district.

Almost half of the objections were due to the capital value being too high (262 objections) or low (198). There were 126 objections over the land value being too high. Land value is used during rates calculations.


Other objections were over land value being too low, value of improvements being too high or low, value of improvements not assessed, removed or damaged and objections relating to other rating valuation data such as property category or land use.

The council said valuation service provider Opteon is now reviewing these valuations, area by area, and will respond to all objectors by June 30.

Opteon valuers will inspect properties, analyse the values and contact property owners to discuss the result. A valuation change may or may not happen and property owners will be sent a new valuation notice if a change is made.

The valuers will inspect the entire property to a level that is suitable to gather as much information as they can to justify the final valuation, they will only enter buildings if property owners invite them to.

Valuers will also contact property owners if they need to enter a tenanted property.

Property owners should let their tenants know that an inspection can occur at any time during business hours.

Due to the high numbers of objections received the valuers will be working fast on a high volume of properties which means appointments will not always be booked in advance.

Property owners only need to be present if they need the interior of their property inspected.


If property owners do not agree with the revised valuation, or lack of, they can appeal at the Land Valuation Tribunal.