Police haven't ruled out making further arrests over the record haul of 494kg of methamphetamine smuggled on to Ninety Mile Beach last week as two more people appeared in court over the bust.

Two more arrests were made over the weekend in relation to the seizure.

Their arrest brings to six the number of people arrested so far and police have not ruled out more arrests.

Police seized 448kg of methamphetamine from the back of a campervan on June 19 and recovered a further 46kg found in bags buried in sand dunes on Ninety Mile Beach after an Ahipara fisherman became suspicious of men trying to launch a boat from the beach.


Read more:
Police seize more meth buried in dunes
How police nabbed $448m of meth
Abandoned boat leads police to record $448m haul of methamphetamine

The man's call to police sparked a chain of events that resulted in the record-breaking seizure and the initial arrest of four men.

Two more men aged 25 and 26 were granted interim name suppression when they appeared in Manukau District Court on Saturday.

Both were arrested in Auckland on Friday and are charged with importing meth, possession of meth for supply, and participating in an organised criminal group. The 25-year-old man also faces a further charge of money laundering. Standing in the dock, he stood calmly with his hands in his pockets.

He was given interim name suppression and any details that may identify him until next Tuesday, when he is due back in the same court.

Bail was opposed and police would be seeking to join this offender to other offenders. The 26-year-old walked into the dock and stood briefly with clenched fists on the stand before standing with his arms folded.

A lawyer said she was seeking name suppression on the grounds that release of his name may risk prejudice to a fair trial. He has been remanded in custody until Thursday, when he will reappear in the same court.

Police said they would be moving to join this offender to others involved as well, before transferring matters to a court in Kaitaia. Twenty detectives, including members of the Auckland-based Police Organised Crime team, are working on the drug haul investigation with support from staff in Kaitaia and wider Northland.


Police said the meth, which they believed was made in another country and brought ashore by boat, would have been worth nearly $500 million if sold on the streets.

Officers continue to investigate where it was produced and who else was involved.