A neighbour has described a fire which ripped through a Napier property on Friday night as "pretty horrifying".
Beelinda Wallace, who lives next door to the Venables Ave property, said she understood it was a cooking fire, which just "got away from them".
She said her neighbour had run over to her house, telling her to get out, and asking whether she had a hose so they could stop the blaze.
However Wallace said the fire "just spread so fast" and she did not think there was anything anyone could have done until the firefighters arrived.
She said the firefighters contained the fire quick quickly, but were onsite for hours trying to clear up the smoke.
"The fire crew were really good."
Despite the damage looking extensive from outside the house, Wallace said she understood most of it was smoke damage, with the fire contained mainly to the kitchen.
It meant they were able to save some of her neighbour's possessions, including photos and valuables.
She said her neighbour had lived in the house for the last 15 years.
Wallace said she had been worried the fire would spread to her property as well.
A New Zealand Fire communications spokesperson said the fire was "well involved" when firefighters arrived at the scene on Venables Ave.
No one was in the house at the time with all occupants accounted for and uninjured.
Three appliances from Napier attended the blaze and had it extinguished by 7.50pm.
The spokesperson said the house had received "significant damage" from the fire.
Investigations are underway, and Fire and Emergency Services were unable to confirm what the cause was at this time.