Earthquake shakes up plans for redevelopment of Marine Parade

In 1930, Napier's Thirty Thousand Club – which was a service club founded in 1912 and dedicated to the improvement of Napier, due to a foreshore retaining wall, had successfully reclaimed an area of Marine Parade beach in front of the Art Deco Masonic Hotel towards Ocean Spa.


Mr K Spooner, identifying an opportunity, approached the Thirty Thousand Club in December 1930 to lease part of this area for a miniature golf course.

Before this could be discussed fully, the 1931 Hawke's Bay earthquake intervened, and subsequently other plans were made

Advertisement
Advertisement