Hawke's Bay wineries are a wonderful way to have a glass of wine and enjoy fresh local produce, while taking in the stunning views. Astrid Austin lists 12 of the region's top wineries.
1. Crab Farm Winery
Crab Farm Winery is a boutique family owned and operated rustic winery and restaurant just north of Napier. Established in 1987 it boasts quality cuisine, hand-crafted wine and live music. It is open from Thursday through to Sunday, 12pm to 3pm, with dinners from 6pm on Friday nights. Normal hours resume on Thursday, January 5.
• Visit: http://crabfarmwinery.co.nz/restaurant/ or phone (06) 836 6678
• 511 Main North Rd, Bay View, Napier
2. Clearview Estate Winery & Restaurant
Nestled amongst the vines of the Clearview Estate Winery, the Red Shed Restaurant & Cellar Door is the ideal place to relax with friends and family. It is open every day between Labour Weekend and Easter, from 10am to 5pm.
• Visit: clearviewestate.co.nz or phone (06) 875 0150
• 194 Clifton Rd, Te Awanga, Hastings
3. Mission Estate Winery
Established in 1851, the Mission Estate Winery is New Zealand's oldest winery and is enjoyed by many. Located on the Taradale hills, the restaurant enjoys sweeping views of Napier city and the coast beyond. The Mission restaurant is open seven days for lunch and dinner.
• Visit: missionestate.co.nz or phone (06) 845 9354
• 198 Church Rd, Napier.
4. De La Terre Winery & Cafe
The earth-brick winery is just 20 minutes from Hastings or Taradale and offers informative tastings hosted by the winemaker. The cafe serves platters and wood-fired pizzas. The winery is open 10am to 5pm, Friday to Sunday.
• Visit: delaterre.co.nz or phone (06) 874 3224
• 1426 Taihape Road, Sherenden
5. Unwined Cafe @ Unison Vineyard
Unwined Cafe is a casual winery eatery set in the Mediterranean-styled villa at Unison Vineyard. It is a family friendly cafe offering local produce, wine and ginger beer tasting trays all day. During the spring and summer season, the cafe is open from Wednesday to Sunday, 10am to 5pm.
• Visit: unisonvineyard.co.nz or phone (06) 879 7913
• 2163 State Highway 50, RD 5, Hastings
6. Te Awa Winery Restaurant
Te Awa Winery Restaurant creates a relaxed and memorable Hawke's Bay dining experience. The menu comprises of local produce with a Mediterranean and Middle Eastern leaning. The restaurant is open seven days from 11am to 3pm for lunch during the summer.
• Visit: teawacollection.com or phone (06) 879 7602
• 2375 State Highway 50, RD5, Hastings
7. Craggy Range Winery
With Te Mata Peak as its backdrop, Craggy Range is home to an award-winning restaurant, Terroir, which serves local produce accompanied by its own wine.
The restaurant is open all year, but from now until Easter weekend it will be open for lunch and dinner daily.
• Visit: http://www.craggyrange.com/
• 253 Waimarama Rd, Havelock North
8. Black Barn Vineyards
Just five minutes from Havelock North Village, Black Barn is a boutique vineyard.
Black Barn Bistro is in the midst of the vineyard, with an emphasis on freshly grown Hawke's Bay produce.
• Visit: http://blackbarn.com/default.asp or phone (06) 8777 985
9. Church Road Winery
Church Road Winery is one of the oldest in Hawke's Bay. Church Road Winery Cellar Door and Restaurant is open seven days during summer, from 11.30am to 3pm.
• Visit: http://www.churchroad.co.nz/ or phone: (06) 833 8234
• 150 Church Rd, Taradale
10. Elephant Hill Winery and Restaurant
Elephant Hill Restaurant lives up to its name, with fresh seasonal food of a high calibre.
The restaurant is open seven days a week for lunch and dinner during the summer, from 12pm and 6pm respectively.
• Visit: http://www.elephanthill.co.nz/ or phone (06) 872 6060
• 86 Clifton Rd, Te Awanga.
11. Vidal Estate Winery
The restaurant provides a seasonal menu with only the freshest and finest ingredients.
It is open for both lunch and dinner, Monday to Saturday from 11.30am until late and each Sunday from 11.30am to 3pm.
• Visit: http://vidal.co.nz/ or phone (06) 872 7442
• 913 St. Aubyn Street East, Hastings
12. St Georges Restaurant and Winery
Guests can dine outside under the vines in their sunny courtyard or inside in the charming restaurant. St Georges is open Wednesday to Monday from 10am till late.
• Visit: http://www.stgeorgesrestaurant.co.nz/#welcome-1or phone (06) 877 5356.
• 452 St Georges Rd, Havelock North