Alert sparks Greytown hotel evacuation

By Staff Reporter editorial@age.co.nz -
Add a comment
Fire crews in Greytown were called to the White Swan on Friday night. PHOTO/ALISA YONG
Fire crews in Greytown were called to the White Swan on Friday night. PHOTO/ALISA YONG

The White Swan Hotel in Greytown was briefly evacuated on Friday night after an employee noticed a burning smell coming from somewhere inside the building.

Greytown fire chief Steve Meyrick said a small number of guests were evacuated about 11.30pm, while fire crews from Masterton and Greytown used a thermal imaging camera to try to track down the source of the smell.

It was eventually traced to an electrical fault in the office, Mr Meyrick said.

"It was a UPS battery back-up for a computer that's decided to have a meltdown."

Traffic on Main St was briefly reduced to one lane with stop/go signs while fire crews checked the building.

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

Have your say

1200 characters left

By and large our readers' comments are respectful and courteous. We're sure you'll fit in well.
View commenting guidelines.

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 06 Dec 2016 22:40:54 Processing Time: 284ms