There is a possibility the ASB Classic final may not be staged, and joint winners declared, if ominous weather predicted for the next few days arrives.

Tournament director Karl Budge has said semifinals and finals will not be played indoors "under any circumstances" which leaves a predicament if rain continues in Auckland.

The first of the semifinals (between Tamira Paszek and Julia Goerges) is set for 5pm today, with the second semifinal between Caroline Wozniacki and Sloane Stephens to follow at the conclusion of that match. The final is scheduled for 3pm tomorrow and can be played on Sunday, the reserve day.
But the weather forecast is not favourable, with rain expected to lash Auckland until the early hours of Saturday morning.

Budge is remaining positive, and insists there is no option of shifting any of the matches undercover at either Stanley Street or Albany.

Advertisement

"We only have a plan A,' said Budge. "We are an outdoor tournament and under no circumstances will we go indoors. There are obviously contingencies; it could mean doubling up tomorrow, and we have Sunday as a reserve day."

If no play is possible today but the weather clears tomorrow, the most likely scenario would see the semifinals played in the morning, followed by the final later in the day. It's not ideal - for the tournament, the volunteers, the fans and especially the players - but isn't an uncommon scenario, particularly at Grand Slams.

The third option would see the final - and if necessary, the semifinals - switched to Sunday. If rain continued into Sunday then joint winners would have to be named with players needing to fly to Australia for final tournaments before the Australian Open.

Any ticket holders that are unable to attend due the rescheduled matches would be expected to be entitled to "some percentage of refund" but Budge said he had to check the exact details of the tournament's ticketing policy.

The latter stages of the ASB Classic was last affected by weather in 2012, when the final was played inside the Dome at Stanley St on the Sunday. Budge said that "wasn't an option" this time.