Daniel Richardson is a Wellington-based sports journalist for NZME. News Service.

Soccer: History on Olympic's side

The Chatham Cup. Photo / file.
The Chatham Cup. Photo / file.

If you believe in signs or omens in sport, then this one is for you.

The past four Chatham Cup winners have all registered a victory over Lower Hutt City on their way to lifting football's national knockout cup.

Wellington Olympic beat Lower Hutt 2-0 in 2009, before Miramar Rangers edged them 3-2 in 2010, while Wairarapa United beat Lower Hutt 2-1 in the second round in 2011 and Auckland's Central United triumphed 6-1 over a young Hutt side in the final last year.

The latest team to knock over Lower Hutt were Olympic, who beat Hutt 4-2 at Wakefield Park yesterday (sat), which may have the superstitious types believing the Wellington club is set for another deep run in the tournament with the quarter-finals looming.

Olympic coach Mick Waitt isn't one who buys in to it though.

"I don't really take a lot of notice of that sort of stuff,'' the former All Whites boss said. "If you're going to win it, you've got to beat everybody you play.''

A hat-trick to Darrell Hannah laid the foundation for Olympic's win yesterday, while they also sit in second in the lower North Island's Central League.

"It's been a good season ... There's a fair bit of confidence in the team and we are playing some nice football,'' Waitt said.

Olympic's victory capped a busy Saturday of fourth round fixtures. In the central region, Palmerston North Marist beat Napier City Rovers 4-2 in a tense penalty shootout after the scores were locked at 1-1 following extra-time in Palmerston North.

Hamilton Wanderers were beaten 3-1 by Birkenhead United with goals to Jack Hobson-McVeigh, Elijah Neblett and Dylan Windust earning the North Shore club a ticket to the last eight for the second straight season.

Onehunga Sports were even more emphatic over Ngaruawahia, putting four unanswered goals past the North Waikato club with Rory Kelly claiming a brace at Waikaraka Park in their 4-0 win.

Hamilton's Melville United squeezed past Manuwera 1-0 via a third minute penalty from Tewi Te Pou.

In today's only clash, three-time champions Waitakere City beat Bay Olympic 3-1 at Fred Taylor Park.

Meanwhile, in the last remaining third round replay, Waimak United were given a thorough examination by Nelson College yesterday but Caleb Baker's two goals in the first 15 minutes of the second half proved enough for a 2-1 victory.

Waimak United now face Cashmere Technical next Saturday to fill the last quarter-final slot.

The draw for the quarter-finals will take place tomorrow (monday), with the fixtures to be played on July 27.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

Stats provided by

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf02 at 29 May 2017 21:10:16 Processing Time: 391ms