NRL: Warriors wait as 'retiring' Carmont ponders his options

By Steve Deane

George Carmont. Photo / Getty Images
George Carmont. Photo / Getty Images

The Warriors will learn early next week whether George Carmont will accept an offer to join the club on a second-tier contract.

Since indicating he was rethinking his retirement, Carmont has received an offer to return to Wigan and also been sounded out by Leeds. The 34-year-old Aucklander will meet Warriors' general manager of football Dean Bell early next week to discuss the club's one-year, second-tier offer.

While he would be a fulltime player and provide cover for an undermanned outside back division, such a deal would mean Carmont's salary would not count under the main cap. NRL clubs can spend A$4.4 million ($5.5 million) on their top 25 contracted players, and an additional A$350,000 on players outside of that primary squad.

Carmont, who had 10 combined seasons with Newcastle and Wigan, may decline all offers to postpone his retirement, his Dubai-based manager John Mamea-Wilson said.

The four-time Super League centre of the year was planning to start up a business offering coaching and development opportunities to young players.

"George is flattered with the offers but has just come off a long season with Wigan and needs to recharge his batteries, see where his head is at and, of course, what's best for his family before he makes any decisions," Mamea-Wilson said.

"All the offers came in after he announced his retirement. He's meeting the Warriors because he promised Dean Bell he would when he was in the UK last month."

If he does sign, Carmont's primary role would be to act as a mentor to the club's young outside backs, while he would also serve as injury cover.

While in England, Bell is understood to have sounded out Wigan's Harrison Hansen, who is off contract next year. A 26-year-old back rower who has played his entire career for Wigan, Hansen is the son of Shane Hansen, who settled in England after stints with Salford and Swinton.

•Tony Iro is expected to confirm to the Warriors by Monday whether he will remain at the club as assistant to new coach Matt Elliott.

Iro told the Herald via text he was "getting close" and would decide by the weekend.

- NZ Herald

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 21 Dec 2014 21:35:55 Processing Time: 452ms