Spend the night in a colon, you'll come out feeling ... refreshed
The visitors to Belgium's Verbeke Foundation art collection can spend the night inside the feature attraction: a 6m-long, 1.8m-high polyester replica of a human colon created by Dutch designer Joep van Lieshout. The facility, though cramped, according to one prominent review, features heating, shower and double bed, and costs the equivalent of about $150 a night. The 12ha art park is regarded as one of Europe's edgiest art destinations. (Source: Huffington Post)
When brand names become generic
Mentalfloss.com has a great list of trademarked names that are pretty much common usage today. Here are a few highlights:
1. You might think you're riding around on a Jet Ski, but if it's not made by Kawasaki Heavy Industries, it's just a personal watercraft.
2. Bubble Wrap is probably the greatest contribution made to our society by Sealed Air Corporation, which they rightly trademarked.
3. The term Onesies (baby bodysuits) is owned by Gerber Childrenswear.
(Twosies and Funzies also belong to Gerber.)
4. Jacuzzi is not only a brand of hot tubs and bathtubs; they also make mattresses and toilets.
5. Chapstick is a brand name of lip balm produced by Pfizer.
6. The permanent marker was invented in 1956, but the Sharpie wasn't introduced until 1964. Today, the products are almost synonymous with each other.
7. Weed Eater is owned by Husqvarna Outdoor Products.
Veolia promises 10-trip ticket refunds
A spokesperson writes: "Veolia Transport is very pleased to process refunds on 10-trip tickets in accordance with AT's policies set under the new AT Hop ticketing system. We can instantly approve, at ticket offices, refunds for 10-trip tickets which are unused and have no expiry date on them. Refunds for partially-used 10-trip tickets will be considered by AT in some circumstances, so visit a Customer Service Centre at Britomart, Newmarket, New Lynn or Papakura stations or call (09) 366 6400 to apply."
Arty: Vincent Van Gogh's famous self-portrait turned into a photograph...
Picture this: If Simon and Garfunkel were into death metal...
Video: While the number of people having plastic surgery has plummeted during the recession, one type of surgery is getting more popular. (Feminism still has a waaaayz to go then)
Video: This is what happens in Sweden if you yell out your high-rise apartment into the night...
Got a Sideswipe? Send your pictures, links and anecdotes to Ana at firstname.lastname@example.org