Three men have been charged after two teenagers were allegedly assaulted on a train by a group of men disguised in aprons and Four Square masks.

The teenagers were violently and sexually assaulted by a group of drunk men wearing masks while taking a train home in Auckland on August 12.

Constable Gene Smith, Auckland City Police, said three men in their 30s had been charged and will appear in the Auckland District Court this month.

A 35-year-old Papamoa man has been charged with assault with intent to injure and will appear in court on October 11.

Advertisement

A 32-year-old Rolleston man was charged with assault and will appear on October 10.

A 31-year-old Hamilton man has been charged with indecent exposure and will appear in court on October 5.

"There has been a large amount of public interest in this case," Smith said. "Police would like to thank the public for the information provided, and Transdev and Auckland Transport for their support.

"These arrests will help provide reassurance to not only the victims, but also other people travelling on our public transport network."

Police are not seeking anyone else in relation to the incident.