Northern Districts cricketer Scott Kuggeleijn will stand trial for the alleged rape of a woman in Hamilton.

However, a date for the trial to take place is yet to be set.

Kuggeleijn, who was excused from attending the Hamilton District Court today, has pleaded not guilty to the charge which relates to an alleged incident from March last year.

Crown prosecutor Jacinda Foster said a February date was available, but defence counsel Philip Morgan said he had back to back fraud trials starting at the end of February and didn't arrive back in the country from an overseas trip until February 1, 2017, giving him minimal time to prepare and launch case.

Advertisement

Judge Glen Marshall adjourned the matter off until September 29 and asked counsel to send through memorandums setting out their position.

In a statement, Northern Districts chief executive Peter Roach said Kuggeleijn, contracted to the Knights since 2013, would continue to be available for representative cricket over the course of the summer.

"We respect the legal process as the correct forum for judging matters as serious as this."

Roach said he was unable to comment further given court proceedings.