Chris Kahui has become a grandfather - on the 10th anniversary of the death of his baby twin sons who were murdered in 2006.
Following the birth Child Youth and Family has revealed it is working with the 30-year-old and his family. The Herald has learned that Mr Kahui's teenage stepdaughter gave birth to a child at the weekend - making him a step-grandfather to the child.
A source said the baby was born on Saturday, 10 years to the day that Chris and Cru Kahui died from non accidental head injuries.
The baby's mother is the 16-year-old daughter of Mr Kahui's wife Marcia.
The Herald has chosen not to publish the name of the new mum or baby. It is understood they will live with Mr and Mrs Kahui.
On Saturday night a family member posted a photograph of the newborn on Facebook, announcing her arrival.
"Woke up this morning waiting for this little one to be born," he said.
"Congratulations [to the mother] and welcome to the world and our family," he wrote.
On Saturday morning the baby's godmother also posted a photo and announcement.
"Welcoming our new princess ... to the family. Was such a beautiful and heart warming thing to witness the birth of my goddaughter," she said.
"Your mama did great bringing you into this world."
The Herald sought comment from Mr Kahui through his lawyer Lorraine Smith.
"Chris and Marcia and their family have no comment to make," she said in an email.
"The daughter is a young girl in a vulnerable position; her situation has nothing to do with the twins' death and we cannot see how this would be of public interest."
After Chris and Cru died Child Youth and Family was heavily involved with Mr Kahui. His older son, Shayne, whose mother Macsyna King was also the mother of the twins, was taken into CYF care after the babies died.
Yesterday the agency confirmed it was still "involved" with the family.
CYF would not comment on the new baby's birth or the specifics of any monitoring or safety plans that were in place.
"We continue to be involved with the family. It would be inappropriate for us to comment further," said CYF Auckland regional director Sharon Thom.
Mr Kahui met his wife Marcia, then Ngapera, after the murder of his twin sons Chris and Cru in 2006. He started attending a Panmure church where her parents were pastors.
They started out as friends but later married and Mr Kahui became a stepfather to her daughter from a previous relationship.
In November 2008 they welcomed their first child together, daughter Carla. The couple spoke about the baby and allowed her to be named and photographed in a high-profile media interview shortly after her birth.
It was then revealed that CYF had been notified the day before Carla arrived by staff at Auckland Hospital who said they had concerns for the wellbeing of the baby.
Mr Kahui was already known to CYF in relation to Chris and Cru and his older son Shayne who was taken in to the agency's care when his twin brothers were admitted to hospital with their fatal injuries.
The day before Carla was born Mrs Kahui, who was in early labour, was interviewed by CYF workers.
As a result CYF said that the Kahui/Ngapera family "agreed to a safety plan for baby Carla".
"Part of this plan requires all contact between Chris and his daughter to be supervised by a person approved by Child, Youth and Family.
"In this case, the supervisors are family members who we believe are protective and understand the possible risks. They are not Child, Youth and Family staff."
"In cases like these, the public looks to Child, Youth and Family to act swiftly and decisively. People can be assured that we take this responsibility extremely seriously. We are continuing to work very closely with the family and longer term arrangements about ensuring the baby's safety are currently before the courts," CYF said at the time.
The Herald reported at the time that Mr Kahui was only allowed to see Carla between 10am and 10pm under family supervision.
In 2010 CYF said that the Family Court had endorsed a plan that would let Mr Kahui live with his daughter and then-partner.
And in 2012 CYF told the Herald that Carla's case was reviewed every six months and staff visited the family "regularly".
"We continue to take this child's [Carla's] safety extremely seriously. We've worked closely with the family since she was born to ensure she is well cared for and protected."