A blind drunk diabetic man was given whisky by doctors to cure him of alcohol poisoning.
Denis Duthie, 65, was admitted to Taranaki Base Hospital after he went blind during a heavy vodka drinking session at a 50th wedding anniversary in July, Fairfax Media reported.
Mr Duthie said he wanted to share his story so people, particularly those with diabetes, knew the risks of heavy drinking.
Doctors suspected the Taranaki chef had formaldehyde (methanol) poisoning, and opted to start alcohol infusion into his stomach through a tube.
However, as there was no medical alcohol in the hospital, a medical registrar had to purchase a bottle of Johnnie Walker from a nearby liquor store.
The unorthodox treatment was detailed in Mr Duthie's medical records, which he supplied to the Taranaki Daily News.
He was hospitalised for 10 days before his eyesight returned and he was discharged.