Huffing may have killed Rotorua teenager

By -
File  Photo / NZ Herald
File Photo / NZ Herald

An inquest into the death of a Rotorua teenager has heard that he could have died from huffing - inhaling gas - from a cigarette lighter or deodorant can.

Rotorua Coroner Wallace Bain is today hearing evidence into the death of the 16-year-old who was found dead in his bed by his father in 2011 at their Marama Resort unit.

Dr Bain has suppressed the teenager's name and that of his family, as well as the date of the death.

Detective Constable Robert Lyle told the inquest butane from a lighter found in the boy's pocket or a deodorant can later found in his room by his father could have been used for huffing.

The autopsy found he died from cardiac arrest as a result of hydro-carbon butane asphyxiation.

Coroner Bain has reserved his finding into the death.

Chief Coroner Judge Neil MacLean launched an investigation into huffing after two Mosgiel teenagers were badly injured when a gas canister they were sniffing from exploded last month.

More than 50 young people are through to have died from huffing since 2000.

For more articles from this region, go to

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 11 Oct 2015 09:47:50 Processing Time: 629ms