The Christchurch Earthquake Appeal has raised $82 million for the city's recovery, and frontman Mark Weldon is hoping to secure further large donations to push it towards the $100 million target.
Started by the Government on February 27 - five days after a quake that claimed 181 lives - it has successfully appealed to companies and wealthy individuals around the world, with about 65 to 70 per cent of donations expected to come from abroad.
Most of the money is coming from the US, but the amount donated from London and Australia are "reasonably close", Mr Weldon said.
The NZX chief executive and Prime Minister's representative on the appeal told the Herald that several conversations about donations were still going on with companies and individuals with "high net worth".
With a lot of the global attention on the earthquakes in Christchurch lost when Japan suffered its killer tsunami and quake, Mr Weldon said the challenge had been to convince donors that their money would have an impact, and in some cases would provide them with recognition.
One donor was approached seven or eight times with suggestions for projects to donate to.
The right one was found for him, but it took 20 to 30 emails, four or five conversations and a trip to New York to secure $700,000.
Donations had not been sought in Asia because of sensitivities over the deaths of many Asian students in Christchurch's February 22 quake.
On Monday night, Australian business leaders paid $10,000 a head to attend an exclusive dinner in Sydney to raise money for Christchurch. The dinner was sponsored by the Commonwealth Bank of Australia chief executive, New Zealander Sir Ralph Norris.
The appeal has already made its first allocation of funds by providing $3.5 million to restore damaged sports fields in time for children's winter sport in Christchurch.
Mr Weldon said most of the fundraising would be done by the end of next month.By Jarrod Booker Email Jarrod