A hat-trick of goals to Ngongotaha's Mitchell Miller helped his side to a 4-1 win over Otumoetai.

It was the second consecutive hat-trick for the goal-scoring wizard and the perfect birthday present for his 50-year-old coach Shane Davis.

Ngongotaha outplayed Otumoetai at Stembridge Rd and it was only the skills of Otumoetai goalkeeper Graeme Blisset which saved the Tauranga side further embarrassment.

Miller scored the first of his three goals in the first half, with Isaac Haua scoring a penalty just before halftime to take the home side into their Stembridge Rd changing sheds with a 2-0 lead.


The villagers continued their dominance in the second half with Miller scoring twice before Otumoetai player Matt Collins scored a consolation goal on full time.

Rotorua United continued their dismal season with a 3-2 loss to WaiBop Federation league leaders Taupo.

When the teams took the field at Neil Hunt Park, the overwhelming feeling among United supporters was hope their team would not be embarrassed.

But the opening quarter offered the home supporters little hope, as Taupo dominated territory and possession, and when Alan Lamb scored for Taupo the writing was on the wall.

United managed to level the score when Eru West latched on to a lax clearance from the visitors.

Stung by the goal, Taupo went back on attack with Lamb netting his second to give them back the lead which they held to the break.

There was no doubt the score flattered United and the expectation was that Taupo would take control in the second half and win comfortably.

But the visitors looked lacklustre in the second spell and United grew in confidence. Then a great free kick from Lamb beat the wall and keeper Gibbs to give Lamb another hat-trick and his team a 3-1 lead, but still the spark was missing, and when Brad Hill scored to make it 3-2 United were well in the game.


Unfortunately for the home side, they couldn't find the equaliser. It was a plucky effort from United but they came away with another loss.

Old Blues travelled away for a demanding game against AFC Fury. It was one-way traffic in the first half but only a single goal from Reuben Wood separated the sides at the break. Fury were on top early in the first half and equalised but Old Blues gradually regained control and deservedly went ahead through Steve Flube.

"We outplayed Fury for much of the game and I would have been disappointed if we hadn't come away with three points," Old Blues coach Andy Legget said.

The other two games had predictable outcomes with Claudelands Rovers trouncing Waikato Unicol 6-0 and Whakatane Town overcoming bottom of the table Otorohanga 4-1.

In division two, leaders Tauranga City consolidated their position with a 5-1 win over Clube Alegria while Katikati had a hard-fought 2-1 win over Te Awamutu.