Whakarewarewa are making history repeat.
In 1981, their senior side led by Alan Nock and coached by George McGoon pulled off "The Grand Slam" and secured every piece of available silverware belonging to the Rotorua Rugby Sub-union.
Fast forward to 2005 and the new generation of red and blacks are now playing in Baywide competition and on Saturday matched an achievement of the 81-ers by securing the Tai Mitchell Challenge Trophy and Banner for top Rotorua club with a 20-13 win over Rotoiti.
The win maintained their Baywide second-place position behind unbeaten leaders Mount Maunganui with the championship proper beginning in June and Whakarewarewa looking like contenders for a modern slam.
For the superstitious, the last time Whakarewarewa owned the Banner was in 2002 - the same year they won their last Baywide Trophy.
It had been 25 years since both of Rotorua rugby's treasured trinkets were in possession of the Whakarewarewa club and the clubhouse was packed to capacity with happy supporters, all who had watched their side turn around a 13-6 first half deficit at Puarenga Park in the best premier game seen so far in Rotorua this season.
The skills were breathtaking, the pace furious and the commitment unyielding, as both teams attacked and defended as if the game was one of a life-and-death proposition.
It was won justifiably by the hosts who scored three tries to the visitor's one.
Rotoiti captain Joe Marsters presented the spoils to his opposite Chris Kerekere and it's probably a good thing the Whakarewarewa Club is getting a $27,000 grant from the Bay of Plenty Community Trust for a new roof as the cheers and responding haka nearly blew the old one off.
One of the first Whaka stalwarts to handle the heavy 91-year-old wooden shield was a proud McGoon, closely followed by Nock, who had been standing in the corner of the Te Ngae Road clubhouse beneath the fading team photo of the 81 side.
It wasn't the only memory of that team hanging in the clubhouse with a motivational message taped on the changing room wall reminding the players of that effort.
Saturday's victory brought memories back to both with McGoon saying the side would only get better from here in with Super 12 players Nili Latu and Aleki Lutui to return.
Where they will play will be a question coach Peter Spry will answer in the coming weeks but, on the side's latest effort, it will be hard to stand down any of his current squad.
One of the best was blind side flanker Jake Rogers, a nomadic footballer who has come to the red and blacks via stints at Painoaiho and Ngongotaha.
The 25-year-old, who works in Murupara, was physical imposing throughout the match and responsible for some key tackles and turnovers in an eye catching man-of-the-match performance.
Hooker Ngarimu Simpkins - Lutui's Bay of Plenty understudy in 2004 - had another stormer while opensider Dan Hathaway was in the thick of things as was his opponent Israel Rangitaawa.
Whakawerawera's 19-year-old prop Sam Cameron continues to impress in his first year of senior rugby while Greg Gillies continued Cameron's solid work up front in the later stages of the second spell.
Their backline is starting to show real flair with fullback Kelly Haimona and five eight Eruera Haimona preferring the running approach to kicking for ground. Halfback Garrick Cowley is sure and continues to further his claim for a spot in the Steamers NPC squad as back-up to incumbent Kevin Senio.
His eighth try of the season was the gamebreaker, running 20m on an angle from scrum and slipping through the defence to break the 13-all deadlock caused by Simpkin's barging try.
While beaten on points, Rotoiti were far from out of the game with No 8 Joe Gotz outstanding and former skipper Jason Emery busy beside him.
Fullback Vesi Rauluni attacked at every opportunity and pulled off some brave try-saving tackles and midfielder Massey Tuhakaraina wrongfooted the defence with his twinkling footwork.
Their try to left winger Tommy Teaeki was a stunner, with the flyer finishing off a scorching Rauluni break.