Rotorua Daily Post
  • Rotorua Daily Post home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Locations

  • Tauranga
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales

Weather

  • Rotorua
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Rotorua Daily Post

Rotorua Lakes Council failed to consult Ministry of Social Development on key pensioner housing promise

Mathew Nash
Mathew Nash
Local Democracy Reporter, Rotorua·Rotorua Daily Post·
1 Apr, 2026 07:24 PM5 mins to read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Lucas Place in Rotorua is home to some of the Rotorua Lakes Council's pensioner housing. Photo / Mathew Nash

Lucas Place in Rotorua is home to some of the Rotorua Lakes Council's pensioner housing. Photo / Mathew Nash

A government ministry has challenged the Rotorua Lakes Council’s promise that some pensioner housing tenants would be “no worse off financially” when rents rise under new management.

The Ministry of Social Development (MSD) says it would not have supported that assurance if it had been asked in advance, and has “no immediate options” to make it happen.

The council says it will keep looking for a way to achieve its goal, which it set for superannuation-dependent tenants over the first two years after rents rise.

The council announced in August that it would transfer management of its pensioner housing to Emerge Aotearoa.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

After delays, the transfer was finalised on March 23, with rents scheduled to rise to market rates from June 1.

Tenants have said this would mean increases of more than 150% for some, with exact figures dependent on individual circumstances.

The council said the move was intended to reduce a roughly $1 million annual burden on ratepayers and allow many tenants to access previously unavailable central government housing assistance.

In an August press release announcing the change, council infrastructure and assets manager Stavros Michael said the council had “committed to providing a ‘top-up’ for a period of two years for tenants who are solely dependent on superannuation to make sure they will be no worse off financially”.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

This would “likely be a contribution to power or other utility bills”.

MSD Bay of Plenty regional commissioner Jacob Davies told Local Democracy Reporting this week that the council did not consult MSD before announcing “the August 29 commitment to their tenants”.

“If we had been consulted, we would have advised the council that their proposal would not ensure tenants are no worse off.”

Davies said MSD officials had attended several relevant meetings since August, but the council’s utilities top-up proposal was not presented until late January.

 The Pomare Units in Rotorua are impacted. Photo / Mathew Nash
The Pomare Units in Rotorua are impacted. Photo / Mathew Nash

“We advised that these payments would likely be defined as income, which would reduce how much support a person can get,” Davies said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Under the Social Security Act, assistance like the accommodation supplement is income-tested, he said.

“That covers all sources of income, including contributions to power or other utility bills.”

In February, MSD advised Emerge Aotearoa that there were “no immediate options” to offset the impact on tenants and recommended leaving the affected tenants at their current rent levels for the time being, Davies said.

Every application for support was considered individually, but there were legal limits to how much could be provided.

“We know it’s a stressful time for the people affected by this decision, and we’ll keep working with them to understand their circumstances and how we may be able to help.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Westbrook resident Joe Douglas lives in one of the council’s 152 pensioner housing units.

He said he learned the top-ups would count as income when applying for government assistance.

 Westbrook resident Joe Douglas still doesn't know how Rotorua Lakes Council plans to cover the difference after a rent hike on his pensioner unit. Photo / Mathew Nash
Westbrook resident Joe Douglas still doesn't know how Rotorua Lakes Council plans to cover the difference after a rent hike on his pensioner unit. Photo / Mathew Nash

He said his neighbours had received similar advice from MSD.

“We all have a moan about it,” he said. “But it’s just hanging over our head all the time, and that’s not nice.”

Without the promised top-up, he estimated the increased rent would leave him about $125 a fortnight out of pocket.

He said he just wanted answers.

“I don’t know if we need to reduce the rent to a level where the subsidy leads us back on an even keel again, or even if that would work, but I would like to hear something.”

A Kahikatea St tenant, who spoke on the condition they were not named, said they raised the proposed top-up at a public meeting in August, which council staff attended.

“I told them you can’t do that, that’s counted as income.”

 There are several vacant units at the Kahikatea St pensioner housing block. Photo / Mathew Nash
There are several vacant units at the Kahikatea St pensioner housing block. Photo / Mathew Nash

Months later, the uncertainty was still taking a toll.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“It’s just really stressful. It’s been going on for nearly 10 months,” they said.

The delays had forced them to repeatedly reapply for assistance.

Michael responded to Local Democracy Reporting questions on behalf of the council and Emerge.

He said the council would continue working with MSD to try to ensure tenants had their full benefit entitlements, to reduce the cost burden on ratepayers.

“It would not be appropriate to pre-empt this process while it’s still underway – working with the tenants and ensuring the best possible outcomes for them is the priority.

“Looking at how we could ensure tenants relying solely on the pension were no worse off for up to two years after rental changes take effect was approved by elected members,” he said.

“Our efforts to find a way to achieve this as best we can are continuing.”

Rotorua Lakes Council infrastructure and environment group manager Stavros Michael in a March 2025 meeting. Photo / Laura Smith
Rotorua Lakes Council infrastructure and environment group manager Stavros Michael in a March 2025 meeting. Photo / Laura Smith

He said tenants would be notified of outcomes first.

“It has been complex, and we acknowledge it has not been an easy transition for tenants, but our top priority is getting better outcomes in the long term.”

He said the council was “committed to better and more sustainable housing and support outcomes” for its pensioner housing tenants and Rotorua ratepayers.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The council did not directly answer questions on why tenants were promised they’d be “no worse off”, without MSD consultation, or when the council learned this may not be possible.

Councillors received an update on the pensioner housing portfolio, including a proposed redevelopment of the Lucas Place blocks, in the publicly excluded section of last week’s council meeting.

Michael said the council would share more details in “the near future”.

Mathew Nash is a Local Democracy Reporting journalist based at the Rotorua Daily Post. He has previously written for SunLive, been a regular contributor to RNZ and was a football reporter in Britain for eight years.

– LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Rotorua Daily Post

'His whole life ahead of him': Young man sentenced for high-speed crash that claimed friend's life

19 May 05:06 AM
Rotorua Daily Post

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 05:05 AM
Rotorua Daily Post

‘High-tech’: AI to ask questions for CEOs at national business conference

19 May 12:05 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

'His whole life ahead of him': Young man sentenced for high-speed crash that claimed friend's life
Rotorua Daily Post

'His whole life ahead of him': Young man sentenced for high-speed crash that claimed friend's life

Johdeci Te Kani reached speeds of 130km/h before losing control and rolling his car.

19 May 05:06 AM
Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild
Rotorua Daily Post

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 05:05 AM
‘High-tech’: AI to ask questions for CEOs at national business conference
Rotorua Daily Post

‘High-tech’: AI to ask questions for CEOs at national business conference

19 May 12:05 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Rotorua Daily Post e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Rotorua Daily Post
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP