Rotorua Daily Post
  • Rotorua Daily Post home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
    • All Lifestyle
    • Residential property listings
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Rural
  • Sport

Locations

  • Tauranga
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales

Weather

  • Rotorua
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Rotorua Daily Post

Robbery accused, 12, in secure care at Rotorua after 'bizarre' motel placement

Doug Laing
By Doug Laing
Multimedia Journalist·Hawkes Bay Today·
27 Sep, 2018 05:03 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The placement of a Hastings child robbery-accused under watch in a motel doesn't surprise leading Hawke's Bay youth and family lawyer Don Kennedy. Photo / File

The placement of a Hastings child robbery-accused under watch in a motel doesn't surprise leading Hawke's Bay youth and family lawyer Don Kennedy. Photo / File

The placement of a 12-year-old in a motel under a powerless minder's watch - despite a judge's direction to the contrary - doesn't surprise youth and family lawyer Don Kennedy.

The direction was given by Judge Peter Callinicos in Napier Youth Court on September 20, but the boy, after absconding three times and being found with a knife, was back in the accommodation, monitored by a paid minder, that night.

Despite Oranga Tamariki's pleadings it had nowhere to put the boy, it did so barely an hour after Kennedy reacted the next morning by saying he was going to take the matter further.

The boy, one of four charged with aggravated robbery of Big Barrel Stortford Lodge bottle store on September 3, has since last Friday been in secure residential care in Rotorua.

The Big Barrel liquor store in Hastings after an armed robbery on September 4. Photo / Warren Buckland.
The Big Barrel liquor store in Hastings after an armed robbery on September 4. Photo / Warren Buckland.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

He was due to appear in court again on October 11.

Kennedy, who has served hundreds of youngsters in almost 30 years of the Children, Young Person and Their Families Act, said "he's where he should have been in the first place".

He said he and others are "pulling our hair out" over the failures of the system in coming to grips with issues involving young offenders.

He said the act says "they" have "got to find them a bed", and on the wider issues "if they haven't got it sorted out they're not going to now."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"It's pretty simple ... it shouldn't happen," he said. "There should be a bed somewhere."

The boy had been placed on bail in the care of Oranga Tamariki, with a 24-hour curfew, when he first appeared on a robbery charge on September 6.

In the Youth Court last week, when the boy was charged with breaching the conditions of bail, Judge Peter Callinicos was told that the motel minder would not have the ability to restrain the juvenile, who would be thus able to leave as he pleased.

"If this arrangement is a policy of Oranga Tamariki then it is an extremely serious situation, one which is going to lead to a tragedy," Judge Callinicos said, after being told the boy had absconded three times.

It was "almost in the realms of the bizarre", he added.

Wellington, East Coast and South Island regional manager for Oranga Tamariki, Peter Whitcombe, said children in some situations might have to wait until the next day before a room became available.

Minister for Children Tracey Martin said Oranga Tamariki "has to deal with some really challenging young people", and law which makes it clear children aged 12 and under should be kept out of custody if possible.

"However, they walk a tightrope and sometimes things will go wrong," she said.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Rotorua Daily Post

'Efficient and sustainable': $220m expansion at geothermal station '90%' complete

Rotorua Daily Post

Lucky Ōpōtiki Lotto player scoops $12.5m jackpot

Rotorua Daily Post

Teen charged with murder of Rotorua kapa haka performer


Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

'Efficient and sustainable': $220m expansion at geothermal station '90%' complete
Rotorua Daily Post

'Efficient and sustainable': $220m expansion at geothermal station '90%' complete

Annual output would power 158,000 homes, exceeding Christchurch’s residential total.

30 Aug 10:43 PM
Lucky Ōpōtiki Lotto player scoops $12.5m jackpot
Rotorua Daily Post

Lucky Ōpōtiki Lotto player scoops $12.5m jackpot

30 Aug 08:07 PM
Teen charged with murder of Rotorua kapa haka performer
Rotorua Daily Post

Teen charged with murder of Rotorua kapa haka performer

29 Aug 06:22 AM


Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet
Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

10 Aug 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Rotorua Daily Post e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Rotorua Daily Post
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP