Morning Headlines | Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor arrested over misconduct and new density rules better fit for Auckland | Friday, February 20, 2026
WorkSafe New Zealand has officially begun an investigation into work health and safety at Mount Maunganui Beachside Holiday Park in the lead up to last month’s fatal landslide.
Six people died after a section of Mauao hillside collapsed, sending a landslide into the holiday park and Mount Hot Pools about9.30am on January 22.
WorkSafe’s announcement today followed the completion of the recovery operation by police on February 1.
WorkSafe central regional manager Nigel Formosa said the organisation had taken time to be clear about what sat within its remit.
“Our investigation will focus on work‑related matters prior to the landslide."
This included establishing whether there had been a breach of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 by businesses and organisations related to the operation of the holiday park.
WorkSafe would utilise technical experts and gather information from a range of sources.
“Our team is focused on understanding the decisions and circumstances that shaped the work environment at the holiday park before the landslide,” Formosa said.
“We’re committed to carrying out a careful, methodical investigation that stays grounded in evidence and the requirements of the Health and Safety at Work Act 2015, for the victims and their whānau.
“This will take time, but it’s important we complete a thorough investigation.”
WorkSafe had already started to engage with Tauranga City Council as the operator of the holiday park, and the roles of other parties would also be considered in coming months.
“Given the amount of information and technical expertise involved, we expect this investigation to take a full year.”
Tauranga City Council chief executive Marty Grenfell. Photo / Dean Purcell. 26/1/26
Tauranga City Council said it’s fully cooperating with WorkSafe and would continue to provide all information and assistance required to support a thorough and independent investigation.
“We welcome WorkSafe’s independent investigation and are committed to fully supporting that process,” Chief executive Marty Grenfell said.
“It’s essential we understand what happened and whether anything could or should have been done differently.”
Grenfell said Council were equally committed to supporting the external review by Hon Paul Davison KC initiated by the Mayor and Councillors.
“An external review is a vital part of this process, allowing us to establish the facts so that we can carefully examine our processes and ensure we continue to strengthen our approach to safety and risk management.