By CHRIS BRAMWELL and MEGAN WATTS in Tirohanga
Leonie George's husband may well have been murdered.
But she refuses to give up hope.
The wife of 33-year-old Stephen George, the man suspected to have died in a house fire at Tirohanga, near Taupo, made an emotional plea
yesterday for anyone with information to come forward.
Police yesterday upgraded their investigation to a homicide after finding a burnt-out car which belonged to Mr George.
The farm worker has not been seen since fire gutted the farm cottage in which he lived in the early hours of Sunday morning.
The body of a man found in the remains of the home has yet to be positively identified.
Mrs George visited the remains of the home yesterday for the first time since the fire.
Supported by her two older children, she was extremely distressed and pleaded for anyone with any information to come forward.
"If [anyone] could just come forth with anything they have it would be gratefully appreciated."
It would not, however, take away the grief the family were going through, she said.
Mrs George is clinging to the hope that her husband may still be alive.
"I hope that he will just turn up one day and say "hi honey, I am sorry I caused you such grief"," she said tearfully.
"But if it's something that has gone terribly wrong and he's not going to be with us anymore ... I would love for him to rest in peace and for whoever has done this to be brought to justice.
"We have two young children who dearly adore their father and he dearly adored them.
"He lived here by himself so I could have the children in town, close to everything. We came out here often and they missed him very much," she said.
Earlier this week police appealed for any information on Mr George's 1993 Nissan Primera, which was missing from the property. Yesterday it was found burnt out on Ranginui Rd, 4km north of Mangakino. Taupo Detective Sergeant Dave Beattie said the find prompted police to upgrade the case to a homicide inquiry.
Already 16 police were based at Taupo working on the investigation and more would be brought in from around the district.
While he refused to go into further details, Mr Beattie said the death was "looking very suspicious".
It was neighbour Peter Thomasen who alerted Mr George's employers Brian and Alma Aspin to the fire at the farmhouse on their property.
Mr Thomasen received a call from his son Mickey, who lives nearby, at about 4am on Sunday to say he could see a fire at Mr George's home.
"By the time anyone got there it was all over, there was virtually nothing left," said Mr Thomasen who said the incident was upsetting for locals.
"It's a bit scary. Nothing ever happens out here - not like this anyway.
"The sooner whoever did this is caught, the better," he said.
Other locals spoken to said they were shaken by the incident.
One neighbour, who did not wish to be named, said he had no idea why anyone would want to do "something like this".
"He seemed like a really good guy. Everyone in the area is understandably a bit shaken up."
The body found in the home was severely burnt and was taken to Auckland to be identified.
If dental records can be used it is hoped the identification process will be completed in the next couple of days, otherwise it could take up to two weeks for DNA testing to identify the body.
Police are appealing for information of any sightings of Mr George or his car.
Investigation upgraded to homicide as body lies unidentified
Rotorua Daily Post
4 mins to read
By CHRIS BRAMWELL and MEGAN WATTS in Tirohanga
Leonie George's husband may well have been murdered.
But she refuses to give up hope.
The wife of 33-year-old Stephen George, the man suspected to have died in a house fire at Tirohanga, near Taupo, made an emotional plea
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.