Rotorua Daily Post
  • Rotorua Daily Post home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Locations

  • Tauranga
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales

Weather

  • Rotorua
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Rotorua Daily Post

Hunt for Lake Taupō fires culprit continues, police say too early to call it serial arson

RNZ
29 Jan, 2020 06:59 PM4 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The hunt for a serial arsonist continues after five properties were set alight on 12 January. Photo / File

The hunt for a serial arsonist continues after five properties were set alight on 12 January. Photo / File

By RNZ

The police hunt for an arsonist causing fear along the eastern shore of Lake Taupō continues, but police say it is too early to claim it is a serial arsonist at work.

On 12 January, five properties at Hatepe, Tauranga, Taupō and Waitetoko were set alight , including one with a family inside.

All managed to escape safely.

But now there has been another suspicious fire lit.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

On Sunday, furniture on a deck was set alight at a property in Waitetoko.

About 300 people met on the Waitetoko Marae on Wednesday evening to get an update and a plea for help from police.

Most of the people at the hui were retirees or holiday home owners, all worried about their properties and some very frightened.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

''We would like a result, that is for sure,'' one homeowner said.

A couple who lived four doors down from one of the houses burnt to the ground said they were frightened.

They said they left the meeting not really that reassured.

"It's a concern. The gas bottle and barbecue go inside. You have no idea.

'"It is very concerning."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The couple said the threat of another fire did put them off coming up from Palmerston North to their holiday home at Hatepe.
READ MORE:
• Taupō police investigating suspicious death
• G-string debate splits Taupō swimmers, mum calls for ban at public spots
• Horror start to 2020: Taupō police urge care after three fatal crashes
• Hunt for Lake Taupō fires culprit continues, police say too early to call it serial arson

''You can't replace a life, you can replace a house.''

Another resident said it was a bit scary and that he has put in extra security.

Police response

Police area commander Warwick Morehu said the meeting was to assure locals all was being done to catch the offender - or offenders - and to give advice on how to keep safe.

"To be honest we are still looking for the perpetrators. We are wanting more information. So far we have had about 17 detectives working on this case. We are happy with the way it is going but actually we still need more information.''

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

He said now there had been another fire, police were starting to assume the arsonist may be local rather than someone just passing through.

''That does give us concern but also actually does give us something to re-focus on. In terms of a serial arsonist, I would suggest we are not quite at that stage but we are looking for someone who has some serious issues.''

Desperation follows fires

Taupō District Mayor David Trewavas said there is a sense of desperation in the community.

''Huge turnout at the meeting and I think most have come away feeling positive that there is going to be an outcome at some stage but we just need to keep working on it and solve this issue.''

The presence at the hui of Ngati Tuwharetoa Paramount Chief, Sir Tumu Te Heuheu underscored the significance of the meeting and the importance of assuring locals all was being done to catch the arsonist.

Waitetoko Marae Kaumatua Danny Morehu said while it appeared very little progress was being made in the investigation, locals accepted it and trusted the police.

''We all know that it is a long haul. We know the work of policing and what that means in their investigation and we are not here for a quick arrest, we are here to assist them to do their job the best.''

Those at the meeting left the hui not too much more in the know, but they all agreed neighbourhood watch needed to be upgraded, as did cell phone coverage down the eastern side of the lake.

They also took home a strong message from police to report anything vaguely suspicious to them.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

- RNZ

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Rotorua Daily Post

'Hot on my heels': Voss edges Moody as marathon records tumble in Napier

18 May 05:00 AM
Rotorua Daily Post

‘Shonky methodology’: Mayor hits back at Whakatāne rates league ranking

18 May 03:00 AM
Rotorua Daily Post

New Tongariro Great Walk hut on track, but summer route no longer full circuit

18 May 02:00 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

'Hot on my heels': Voss edges Moody as marathon records tumble in Napier
Rotorua Daily Post

'Hot on my heels': Voss edges Moody as marathon records tumble in Napier

Michael Voss won in 2h 19m 52s, slashing over four minutes off his 2022 mark.

18 May 05:00 AM
‘Shonky methodology’: Mayor hits back at Whakatāne rates league ranking
Rotorua Daily Post

‘Shonky methodology’: Mayor hits back at Whakatāne rates league ranking

18 May 03:00 AM
New Tongariro Great Walk hut on track, but summer route no longer full circuit
Rotorua Daily Post

New Tongariro Great Walk hut on track, but summer route no longer full circuit

18 May 02:00 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Rotorua Daily Post e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Rotorua Daily Post
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP