Rotorua Daily Post
  • Rotorua Daily Post home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Locations

  • Tauranga
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales

Weather

  • Rotorua
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Rotorua Daily Post

Edgecumbe flood victim burgled of last remaining items

Kiri Gillespie
Kiri Gillespie
Assistant News Director and Multimedia Journalist·Bay of Plenty Times·
28 Apr, 2017 07:00 PM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Edgecumbe flood victim Glen Rangiaho shares his thoughts after having the only things he was able to save from the floodwaters stolen by burglars. But Despite Mr Rangiaho's disgust, he has been overwhelmed at the support he's been shown from the community and services.

Edgecumbe flood-victim Glen Rangiaho couldn't believe his eyes when he walked through his yellow stickered home to find what little possessions he still had were stolen.

"I'm disgusted. Absolutely disgusted," he said.

"I've already been done in by the flood. Now, this."

Those responsible for the theft have been labelled the "lowest of the low" by the region's mayor. Several flood-damaged homes, including Mr Rangiaho's, have been targeted.

News of the burglaries has prompted a promise of extra patrols and police staff to keep an eye on the town.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Mr Rangiaho lost practically everything when the Rangitaiki River burst its banks earlier this month. Now he's lost what little remained. Those items included a $10,000 jet ski, television and phones.

"They must have been in there for quite some time because they went through every drawer," he said.

"Most of the stuff had been taken out, but the TV was practically the only thing that hadn't been damaged."

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Floodwaters crept up to 50cm inside Mr Rangiaho's Main St home, which he shared with his three children.

"It was gutting. But even though I've lost everything, the goodness of people that have come out of the woodwork has been incredible. I'm blown away by it. It's very humbling."

Mr Rangiaho's plight was shared on Facebook and resulted in information leading to the recovery of his jet ski.

The Sea-doo Bombardier was recovered halfway to Rotorua, dumped on a trailer with a flat tyre near Lake Rotoiti.

Discover more

New Zealand

Edgecumbe flood two years on: Loneliness, trauma and hope

29 Mar 11:00 PM

Mr Rangiaho said he had been given a description of the vehicle seen towing it and he expected it was only a matter of time before the offenders were caught.

"I'm insured, so it's all right. I'd just like to see them caught."

Police were at Mr Rangiaho's property on Wednesday dusting for fingerprints.

Edgecumbe resident Glen Rangiaho with his flood-damaged possession he has to throw out. Mr Rangiaho has lost practically everything, now he's be burgled as well. Photo/John Borren
Edgecumbe resident Glen Rangiaho with his flood-damaged possession he has to throw out. Mr Rangiaho has lost practically everything, now he's be burgled as well. Photo/John Borren

Waiariki MP Te Ururoa Flavell said Edgecumbe residents had already been through hell.

"It must be soul-destroying for them to be victims for a second time and you have to think about how low some people will stoop to target those who have been forced out of their homes.

"Opportunistic thieves have no place in the community that is battling to get back on its feet. To those taking advantage of Edgecumbe's misery, stay out of it."

Mr Flavell commended the "superb" work volunteers and Maori wardens have been doing to keep the streets safe at night.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Bay of Plenty Area Commander Kevin Taylor said the while the exclusion zone was in place there had been three burglaries and the theft of items from a car. Since then, Mr Rangiaho's home was burgled, and inquiries were continuing into that.

At least one person has been arrested for being found unlawfully in an enclosed yard.

Kawerau woman Nen Tulloch's aunt's home was among those ransacked, prompting Ms Tulloch to set up her own community patrol.

The flood-relief volunteer told Newshub it was horrific to think people would target people who had already suffered so much.

"People are so stressed after the floods. They don't want to be dealing with anything else that's negative.

"These people need something in place to help them take care of what little's left," she told Newshub.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Whakatane mayor Tony Bonne said the thieves were the "lowest of the low".

Mr Bonne said there were extra security and police manning the streets day and night.

Whakatane MP Anne Tolley said she was disappointed to hear of the burglaries "as this stands in stark contrast to the widespread community work that's happening to help with the clean-up and support to those in need."

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Rotorua Daily Post

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era

29 Nov 02:30 AM
Rotorua Daily Post

Five years of turning up: Teen’s commitment to helping the community

28 Nov 11:00 PM
Rotorua Daily Post

Search for missing Tokoroa teacher suspended

28 Nov 07:33 PM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era
Rotorua Daily Post

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era

The new 145ha Rerewhakaaitu Nursery will produce millions of seedlings a year.

29 Nov 02:30 AM
Five years of turning up: Teen’s commitment to helping the community
Rotorua Daily Post

Five years of turning up: Teen’s commitment to helping the community

28 Nov 11:00 PM
Search for missing Tokoroa teacher suspended
Rotorua Daily Post

Search for missing Tokoroa teacher suspended

28 Nov 07:33 PM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Rotorua Daily Post e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Rotorua Daily Post
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP