Crankworx Rotorua 2018 has been named the Best Sport Event of that year, just days after the 2019 festival drew to a close.
Crankworx Rotorua 2018 was announced as the winner of the title at the New Zealand Events Association awards ceremony tonight. There were 16 categories in the awards and the events association general manager Segolene de Fontenay said the entries were of a high standard.
"With sixteen categories ... we've covered just about all the things Kiwis and our visitors love to do.
"The standard of entries has proven very high; I'd like to extend a big congratulations to everyone who entered, our finalists and most importantly, to those who took home an award."
Judges comments on the event said Crankworx's strengths were showcasing Rotorua as a mountain biking resort and a strong economic return.
They commended organisers for a well-executed event that attracted outstanding participation domestically and internationally.
"The ultimate standout is that organisers had a clear objective, well-articulated strategy and exceptional execution," the judges' notes said.
De Fontenay said New Zealand's events calendar made a significant contribution to the economy.
"We've got multiple world-class events; even smaller, regional fixtures fit this description. It's a testament to the creativity, innovation, dedication and hard work of people across the country."
The 16 awards were for events, individuals and venues and suppliers. There was also a New Zealand Favourite Event of the Year public vote.
In a debrief at a Rotorua Lakes Council meeting in August last year, Event director Ariki Tibble said the 2018 event brought in $514,728 commercial revenue, $678,524 from non-commercial investment and $270,037 from ticketing revenue and registration.
He said the worldwide audience was also rising. In 2018 11.6 million people tuned in, up from 11.4 million in 2017 and 4.6 million in 2015.
- Best Event Sponsorship Professional 2018: Amy McNicol
_ Best Emerging Event Professional 2018: Brenna McCann
- Best Event Professional 2018: Emily Byrne
- Best Arts or Cultural Event 2018: A Waka Odyssey
- Best Business Event 2018: Better by Design CEO Summit
- Best Corporate Social Responsibility or Not-for-Profit Event 2018: The Haier Big Hoot (Child Cancer Foundation)
- Best Sport Event 2018: Crankworx Rotorua
- Best Sustainable Event 2018: Night Noodle Markets
- Best Supplier 2018: Sidekicker
- Best Venue 2018: FMG Stadium Waikato for RLWC 2017 & HSBC NZ Sevens 2018
- Best Community Event 2018: Highlight: Carnival of Lights 2017
- Best Regional Event 2018: Tremains Art Deco Festival 2018 (Art Deco Trust)
- Best National Event 2018: Warbirds over Wanaka International Airshow
- Best International Event 2018: HSBC NZ Sevens
- Best Event Sponsorship 2018: Wellington Culinary Events Trust & Visa for Visa Wellington on a Plate
- Best Local Government Event 2018: Pop n' Good Bike Park Opening (Waipa District Council)
- New Zealand's Favourite Event of the Year (public vote): Warbirds over Wanaka International Airshow