Rotorua, Kawerau and Whakatane district councils are among 30 councils who will benefit from the 2014 Youth Development Partnership Fund, says Youth Affairs Minister Nikki Kaye.
The allocated $739,000 in funding will provide assistance to local councils for projects that support young people aged 12 to 24.
It includes $32,000 for Rotorua District Council, $19,000 for Kawerau District Council and $30,000 for Whakatane District Council.
"This investment will give young people a chance to participate confidently in their communities - to be heard, and to influence local decision-making," Ms Kaye said.
AdvertisementAdvertise with NZME.
"The point of this fund is to get young people involved in and leading projects that are meaningful to them and their communities. It also enables them to develop leadership skills, and to volunteer in their communities."
Since the launch of the Youth Development Partnership Fund in 2005, more than 50 city and district councils have been supported to work with and improve the outcomes for young people in their regions.
"As Minister of Youth Affairs, I see young people throughout New Zealand who are making a valuable contribution to their families and communities. As a nation, it is important that we continue to provide opportunities for them to be involved in meaningful activities that build their skills and confidence, and make a positive difference to the lives of those around them."
Funding recipients include:
Rotorua District Council $32,000
· Deliver Youth Ambassador leadership training
· Deliver Rotorua Youth Voice Consultation
· Deliver five youth led community events
Kawerau District Council $19,000
· Deliver Youth Council Seminar to develop participation skills and empowerment for young people
· Develop mentoring and volunteering opportunities for young people
· Deliver a programme in schools to raise awareness of the ANZAC Centennial celebrations in 2015
· Support Youth Council to showcase Kawerau young people using media
Whakatane District Council $30,000
· Deliver leadership and event management training
· Deliver five youth led youth events (Ruatahuna, Matata, Murupara, Taneatua, Te Teko/Edgecombe)
· Support youth led awards event celebrating achievement of young people in the Whakatane District