Rotorua Daily Post
  • Rotorua Daily Post home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Locations

  • Tauranga
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales

Weather

  • Rotorua
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Premium
Home / Rotorua Daily Post

Comment: I'm glad AIMS Games were not cancelled over measles fears

Zoe Hunter
Zoe Hunter
Bay of Plenty Times·
8 Sep, 2019 10:36 PM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

    Reminder, this is a Premium article and requires a subscription to read.

Let's listen to the experts. Photo / File

Let's listen to the experts. Photo / File

The dice have been rolled.

More than 11,500 AIMS Games intermediate-aged athletes from 368 schools are in Tauranga for the annual six-day event.

It was reported earlier in the week about 800 of those may not be vaccinated against the measles.

Many have come from Auckland, which is in the midst of an outbreak of the disease that has seen more than 700 people get sick since January.

The Bay of Plenty and Lakes areas have together had more than 30 cases confirmed this year, with all recent cases linked to Auckland.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

On Friday AIMS Games organisers confirmed three teams had pulled out of the AIMS Games due to measles fears.

A tournament spokesman said all three schools that pulled out were from rural areas.

So far, more than 50 students have withdrawn from the tournament, he said however, not all 50 withdrawals were related to measles.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The tournament is now under way - but has it started a game of Russian roulette?

There will be far-reaching consequences if the measles outbreak spreads in our community.

That makes it very serious. But, at the same time, I hope it doesn't overshadow a positive event for our community.

Thousands of children across the country look forward to the AIMS Games each year.

Talented young Kiwis work hard to secure a spot in their school teams to represent their city in the nationwide tournament.

It allows children aged 11 to 13 the chance to compete at an elite level against the best of the best.

The AIMS Games weren't yet introduced when I was at school - but I would have loved to be a part of them.

The local economy also profits from the thousands of athletes and their supporters arriving in the region.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The AIMS Games economic impact report from 2016 showed the event added $3 million to the local economy through accommodation, hospitality and retail shopping.

Cancelling the event would mean the city loses out on all of this.

Health authorities say it is not necessary to cancel the event and letters have been sent asking anyone with measles, those who are not immunised, and those who have had contact with someone who has measles to stay away from the tournament.

Organisers are as prepared as they can be to contain any case.

So, in my opinion, it all comes down to common sense.

If you are at risk and you're going to put others at risk, please stay away.

I don't believe a national tournament that is the highlight of the year on many children's calendars, and that brings so much to the local economy, should be canned.

If this outbreak has taught us anything, it's that we should listen to the experts - and they say it's manageable.

Let's just be responsible, be aware, and let our children have their time to shine.

Save
    Share this article

    Reminder, this is a Premium article and requires a subscription to read.

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Rotorua Daily Post

New slip risk halts Waioweka Gorge convoys for at least 25 hours

17 Feb 12:03 AM
Rotorua Daily Post

From rates to dates? Councils’ Valentine’s Day post delights locals

16 Feb 10:19 PM
Rotorua Daily Post

Red hat attack: Police probe gang-related assault in BoP CBD

16 Feb 08:00 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

New slip risk halts Waioweka Gorge convoys for at least 25 hours
Rotorua Daily Post

New slip risk halts Waioweka Gorge convoys for at least 25 hours

A safety inspection on February 18 will decide when convoys can resume.

17 Feb 12:03 AM
From rates to dates? Councils’ Valentine’s Day post delights locals
Rotorua Daily Post

From rates to dates? Councils’ Valentine’s Day post delights locals

16 Feb 10:19 PM
Red hat attack: Police probe gang-related assault in BoP CBD
Rotorua Daily Post

Red hat attack: Police probe gang-related assault in BoP CBD

16 Feb 08:00 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Rotorua Daily Post e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Rotorua Daily Post
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP