Rotorua Daily Post
  • Rotorua Daily Post home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Locations

  • Tauranga
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales

Weather

  • Rotorua
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Rotorua Daily Post

Bay of Plenty council probes cable theft burn-offs behind Kawerau odour

Diane McCarthy, Whakatāne Beacon
Bay of Plenty Times·
30 Sep, 2025 07:00 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
All areas of Kawerau have been subject to strong chemical smells over the past week. Photo / Whakatāne Beacon

All areas of Kawerau have been subject to strong chemical smells over the past week. Photo / Whakatāne Beacon

A series of wire and cable thefts in the Kawerau area may be linked to a strong chemical smell residents have been reporting.

The current theory is that the thieves are using fire to strip the cable down to its valuable metal.

Since September 21, Bay of Plenty Regional Council has received 41 calls to its Pollution Hotline regarding a strong chemical smell of burning plastic or rubber.

At first it was suspected to be a resident burning rubbish or an industrial site.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Regulatory compliance manager Stephen Mellor said while the calls were most frequent at the beginning of last week and had slowed since then, the smell was reported over the weekend of September 27-28.

“The odour has been detected right across the Kawerau township,” Mellor said.

“Industrial sources have been inspected and ruled out at this stage, as wind conditions do not align with the industrial area being the source.”

The regional council had been working with New Zealand Police, and both agencies believed the odour to be linked to a series of wire and cable thefts in Kawerau.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Several small dump sites and burn piles have been found, but those responsible have not yet been identified,” Mellor said.

“As a reminder, burning plastics and rubber can release harmful substances that may affect the health of people in close proximity.”

Anyone experiencing a strong chemical smell should call the Pollution Hotline on 0800 884883.

Local Democracy Reporting is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air

- LDR is local body journalism co-funded by RNZ and NZ On Air.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Rotorua Daily Post

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

19 May 07:05 PM
Premium
Opinion

Lifang Chen: A Chinese New Zealander on politics and place

19 May 04:00 PM
Rotorua Daily Post

'His whole life ahead of him': Young man sentenced for high-speed crash that killed friend

19 May 05:06 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild
Rotorua Daily Post

Marae reopens after $2.8m rebuild

Funding delays meant the wharekai upgrade took about 16 years to realise.

19 May 07:05 PM
Premium
Premium
Lifang Chen: A Chinese New Zealander on politics and place
Opinion

Lifang Chen: A Chinese New Zealander on politics and place

19 May 04:00 PM
'His whole life ahead of him': Young man sentenced for high-speed crash that killed friend
Rotorua Daily Post

'His whole life ahead of him': Young man sentenced for high-speed crash that killed friend

19 May 05:06 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Rotorua Daily Post e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Rotorua Daily Post
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP